Dessert is the most important meal of the day in our minds. Therefore, you should try these hazelnut tahini brownies, perfect with a bowl of vegan coconut ice cream!
These gluten free and vegan hazelnut tahini brownies are PERFECTLY fudgy, moist and nutty! We’ve declared our love for tahini many times in various culinary settings, but these tahini brownies take the cake. Originally we planned on doing a tahini swirl, but we just love the way the tahini marries with the chocolate when mixed directly in. Crunchy hazelnuts get nice & toasty and extra dark chocolate chunks really up the fudge factor. They’re finished with a sprinkle of flaky salt, because why not?
We first tried making these completely flourless, but unfortunately they just need that touch of flour to bind together. The flourless version got nice and crispy on the outer edges, but remained too doughy inside. If you would prefer a grain free version, we would suggest almond flour (though we haven’t tested it, so try at your own risk!).
If you don’t usually cook or bake vegan recipes, this recipe is a great place to start! All you need is one bowl, a whisk and spatula and about 15 minutes of prep time. We promise you won’t even notice the lack of butter and eggs.
Check out our other delicious brownie recipes:Print
Tahini gives these brownies a slightly nutty flavor that pairs perfectly with toasted hazelnuts and rich dark chocolate.
- 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax meal mixed with 6 tbsp room temp water)
- 1/2 cup melted vegan dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup chocolate chunks
- Flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 325 F and line an 8×8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Make flax eggs by combining 2 tbsp flax meal with 6 tbsp room temp water. Stir and set aside to thicken for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together gluten free flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together tahini, coconut sugar, maple syrup, melted coconut oil and vanilla until smooth. Whisk in flax eggs and melted chocolate until well incorporated. Add cocoa powder in thirds and whisk until smooth.
- Use a spatula to fold in flour mixture (at this point, the batter will be too thick for whisk). Stir until well combined.
- Pour into parchment paper lined pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts, chocolate chunks and flaky salt.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting (or else they will crumble!). Enjoy!
You can substitute almond butter for tahini if you’d prefer.