This Vegan Mezze Platter is my ideal appetizer spread, complete with hummus, fresh produce, olives, pita and so much more! Perfect for the holidays, casual dinner parties or a fun dinner.
There's nothing quite like a giant charcuterie board to kick off a party. But why stop at meats and cheeses?
Especially if you have vegan/vegetarian family members, charcuterie boards can be a bit tricky. This Mediterranean Mezze Platter is a wonderful alternative.
It's packed with flavorful small bites and a little something for everyone! It's one of our favorites for entertaining because it caters to vegans, vegetarians, meat-eaters, gluten free, nut free, and just about everything in between.
Plus, Mediterranean is my all-time favorite cuisine. I could eat hummus for breakfast, lunch and dinner. This platter is pretty much my dream meal!
Mezze Platter Ideas
Hummus is just a start; there are SO many options for a delicious, easy-to-assemble Mezze platter! Here are a few of our favorites.
- Hummus: we'll start with hummus, because any self-respecting mezze platter needs hummus. In addition to perfectly creamy traditional hummus, we like to include a few extra flavors, like roasted red pepper and beet hummus. Check out 4 ways to make hummus here!
- Dolma/Stuffed Grape Leaves: dolmas are a must, in my opinion. They're a bit time consuming to make from scratch, so we typically purchase at a local market. We use vegetarian stuffed grape leaves here, but any kind will do!
- Salads: for some extra vegetables, add in a bowl of tabbouleh or this favorite Greek chickpea salad!
- Olives: we typically opt for mixed, marinated olives from the olive bar at our local market. Castelvetranos are my favorite for snacking!
- Pita and crackers: mini pita breads are perfect for dipping. We also love crunchy sesame olive oil breadsticks, pita chips and seedy crackers.
- Nuts: Marcona almonds and pistachios are two of my favorites. Marcona almonds are a softer, sweeter Spanish variety of almonds, roasted in olive oil and sprinkled with salt. They're incredible and my favorite nut for any charcuterie board!
- Fresh vegetables: so many options here, but a few favorites are carrots, cucumber, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes and radishes.
- Other dips: baba ganoush, tzatziki, Muhammara, tahini sauce, olive tapenade...the options are endless.
- Spreads: I love a good fig spread on a Mezze platter. Perfect for pairing with crackers and/or cheese.
- Dried fruit: dried apricots, dates and figs are perfect for this platter.
- Cheese: feel free to include some regular or vegan feta. Bonus points if it's marinated in olive oil and herbs! Other options include goat cheese, Manchego, etc. (if not vegan).
- Garnishes: if you want to impress guests, throw in a few garnishes like fresh sprigs of mint, thyme and other herbs, or even a few edible flowers. Easy to add, and they really make the platter shine!
When it comes to assembling a Mezze platter, you can be as calculated and neat as you'd like. Or, if you're like me, you can just throw everything on randomly and hope for the best!
All jokes aside, I typically prepare for any charcuterie board by grabbing a few small bowls and plates for dips, spreads, and anything else that needs to be contained.
Arrange the bowls and plates at random intervals on a large platter, then surround by things you'd pair with it. For example, I always put carrots, cucumber and some kind of cracker or bread next to a dip. Pair fruit spreads with cheese, nuts and crackers.
Once you have the main components arranged, fill in the gaps with remaining ingredients.
The more organic/natural, the better! It doesn't have to be perfectly arranged. As long as you have a variety of colors and textures, it will look gorgeous!
Lastly, for a final touch (if you're trying to impress), don't forget to garnish dips. I top hummus with olive oil, pine nut and fresh herbs or za'atar.
More vegan appetizers you'll love:
If you make this vegan Mezze platter, we’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below! We also love to see your creations on Instagram – tag us at @crowded_kitchen so we can see what you’ve been cooking.Print
Below are a few ideas for the perfect vegan Mezze board. Quantities are dependent on how many people you're entertaining!
- Hummus, homemade or store-bought
- Mixed, marinated olives
- Dolma/Stuffed Grape Leaves (8-10)
- Salads, like tabbouleh or Mediterranean chickpea salad
- Mini pita breads
- Crackers (sesame breadsticks, pita chips, etc)
- Nuts (pistachios, Marcona almonds)
- Fresh vegetables: carrots, cucumber, radishes, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes
- Other dips: baba ganoush, tzatziki, tahini, Muhammara, fig spread, etc.
- Dried fruits, like apricots, dates, figs
- Feta cheese (vegan or regular)
- Fresh herbs and edible flowers for garnish
- Arrange any dips/spreads in small bowls. Place on large platter at random intervals.
- Surround dips with ingredients used for dipping, like crunchy vegetables, crackers and breads. Fill in the gaps with remaining ingredients, like dried fruit, nuts, other vegetables, etc.
Feel free to choose as many or as few components as you'd like. Don't feel pressured to make things from scratch; there are plenty of great store-bought options!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: No Cook
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: vegan Mezze platter