This creamy vegan roasted carrot dip is savory, smoky and sweet. It's the healthy and easy make-ahead appetizer you need this holiday season.
I have a carrot problem. For some reason, almost every time I go grocery shopping, I nab a bunch of carrots.
My thought process: carrots last a long time. Carrots are healthy and so good roasted. At some point before this bunch get soft, I'll have them for an easy side dish at dinner. Or, I'll roast them up and toss them on a grain bowl for lunch meal prep.
Reality: that bag of carrots sits in my crisper drawer until they're on the BRINK of total softness. I've definitely resurrected my share of limp carrots with a hot and fast flash in the oven. But even I get tired of accompanying every meal with roasted carrots.
That's where this smoky roasted carrot dip recipe was born. It transforms boring roasted carrots into a warm, spicy and creamy dip. It's perfect to spread on crackers as an afternoon snack, or to offer as part of an appetizer spread at a holiday party.
It seems like we can't get enough warming fall spices like cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger this time of year. However, decided to mix things up with more of a Moroccan flavor profile in this carrot dip. The spices are a welcome change.
The emphasis in this recipe is on easy. Truly, this vegan carrot dip is surprisingly simple to whip up. Especially when you taste how flavor-packed it is.
The most time-consuming part of this recipe is roasting the carrots, which is very hands-off, of course. Here's how we roast carrots to make this smoky dip:
- Dig up that bag of carrots from the crisper drawer. Wash them and slice them into roughly the same sized pieces. Shape doesn't matter much here because they'll all end up in the food processor. The goal is to cut your carrots into pieces that will cook evenly.
- Toss the cut carrots with some olive oil and salt on a baking sheet. Then, roast in a hot oven (400°F) until they start to brown on the edges. This takes about 30 minutes, depending on your oven. It's best to rotate the pan halfway through cooking for evenness.
- As soon as you see some good caramelization on your carrots, pop them out. Voila: the hard work for this creamy vegan carrot dip recipe is done.
You can toss those beautiful roasted carrots directly into a food processor. That machine will do the rest of the work for this recipe.
Along with the carrots, we add a can of chickpeas. Beans like chickpeas or white beans are a secret ingredient to uber creamy vegan dips. They blend right up and provide the smooth structure this dip needs.
In fact, this roasted carrot dip recipe is sort of a blueprint for all kinds of creamy vegan vegetable dips.
Here's the master equation:
Veggie + Beans + Seasonings + Liquid = Easy, Delicious Vegan Dips
In this case, our equation looks like this:
Roasted Carrots + Chickpeas + (Garlic, Cumin, Paprika, Chili) + (Lemon, Olive Oil) = Moroccan-Spiced Carrot Dip
More Easy Vegan Dip Combinations
Let's think of some more delicious ways to fill in this equation:
Roasted Cauliflower + White Beans + (Sage, Rosemary, Thyme) + Olive Oil = Thanksgiving Cauliflower Dip
Roasted Red Pepper + Chickpeas + Harissa + Lemon Juice = Spicy Red Pepper Dip
The possibilities are endless! Send us your favorite vegan dip combinations in the comments!
The other wonder inside a can of chickpeas is their liquid. Known as aquafaba, chickpea liquid has some pretty amazing characteristics and uses.
We love using aquafaba as a vegan replacement for egg whites. It whips up just like eggs for vegan buttercream and even meringues. It has a mild flavor but plenty of protein, so it adds structure to everything from cookies to dips.
When you drain the chickpeas for this recipe, reserve the liquid. Measure out about a quarter cup of aquafaba to add to the food processor at first. Then, after adding the spices, olive oil and lemon juice, you can always add a bit more until your dip is as smooth as you like.
Once you have your roasted carrots and chickpeas in the food processor, it's time to add spices. We went with Moroccan flavors for this carrot dip. Cumin, paprika and chili bring spice, warmth and smokiness.
And of course, we had to toss in a garlic clove for everyone's favorite allium. Don't worry, the garlic is far from overwhelming in this recipe.
More Easy Make-Ahead Vegetable Dips
If you have a long list of entertaining to do this holiday season, or you just love treating yourself to a dinner of dips, we've got the recipes you need.
Here are our favorite quick and easy vegan dip recipes:
And after you have a menu of these colorful dips on hand, make a beautiful appetizer spread!Print
This creamy vegan carrot dip is savory, smoky and sweet. It's the make-ahead appetizer you need this holiday season.
- 1 lbs carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch rounds
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 can chickpeas, drained, reserve liquid
- ¼-½ cup liquid from chickpeas (aquafaba)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1½ lemons
- ¾ tsp paprika
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Add the carrots to a baking sheet and toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp salt. Roast until soft and beginning to carmelize, about 30 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
- Add the roasted carrots, remaining 1 tbsp olive oil, chickpeas, chickpea liquid, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, cumin and chili powder to a food processor and blend on high until smooth. Add additional olive oil and/or chickpea liquid to reach desired consistency and season with salt and chile powder.
- Category: Dips
- Method: Blender
Keywords: carrot dip