This easy, one-pot vegan and gluten free mushroom gravy is a holiday staple, perfect for pairing with mashed potatoes, cauliflower steak and more. This can easily be made ahead of time and only requires 40 minutes of cooking. This gravy is packed with flavor – your guests won't know it's vegan. Video tutorial below!
What kind of mushrooms to use
Cremini mushrooms are my favorite option for gravy. They're affordable, easy to find and have a rich, meaty flavor and texture.
You can also use button mushrooms, portobellos, shiitakes (for a more earthy flavor), or even porcini or chanterelles. Any mix of the above will do. Check out more info on our favorite wild mushrooms in this post!
- Olive oil: can also use vegan butter or another neutral oil.
- Onion or shallots.
- Mushrooms: we chop ours finely, but if you prefer more texture, roughly chop.
- Gluten free all purpose flour: can sub with equal amount of regular all purpose flour.
- Vegetable broth: if using a low sodium broth, you may need to add more salt.
- Red wine: a dry red wine works best, like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Syrah, etc.
- Red wine vinegar: adds a touch of acidity, which brightens up the flavor profile and balances the flavors.
- Fresh thyme: or a mixture of thyme/rosemary/sage.
- Salt & pepper
Sauté onions: Heat a saucepan to medium, add olive oil and onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until softened and translucent.
Add mushrooms and cook until softened (a few minutes). Add flour and stir well to coat mushrooms and onions.
Add broth, red wine, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk well to remove any clumps of flour.
Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until thickened.
- Want a completely smooth gravy? Purée in a blender, then strain to remove any large bits.
- If for some reason your gravy isn't getting thick after 30 minutes, try increasing the heat. If that doesn't work, make a roux by whisking together 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon flour, then add to the gravy and simmer until thickened.
You can store the gravy in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then gently reheat over the stovetop until fully warmed.
What to serve with mushroom gravy:
- The BEST Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
- Classic Gluten Free Stuffing
- Use as a base in this Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Make Vegan Poutine with these fries
- Harissa Roasted Carrots
- Shaved Brussels Sprout & Cranberry Salad
- Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Granola
If you make this easy vegan mushroom gravy recipe, we’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below! We also love to see your creations on Instagram – tag us at @crowded_kitchen so we can see what you’ve been cooking.Print
This easy, one-pot vegan and gluten free mushroom gravy is a holiday staple, perfect for pairing with mashed potatoes, cauliflower steak and more.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¾ cup finely diced yellow onion
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 tbsp gluten free all purpose flour (or regular AP flour if not gluten free)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp dry red wine, like Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir
- 1-2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh minced thyme
- ¾ tsp fine kosher salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until softened and translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened (a few minutes). Add flour and stir well to coat mushrooms and onions.
- Add broth, red wine, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk well to remove any clumps of flour.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until thickened.
You can store the gravy in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Side
- Calories: 71
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 433.9 mg
- Fat: 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.7 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 6.9 g
- Fiber: 0.8 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: vegan mushroom gravy