With Thanksgiving exactly ONE WEEK away, we’re getting ready to share some of our favorite classic Thanksgiving recipes. It’s time for this gluten free stuffing made with Canyon Bakehouse gluten free bread.
We’ve already shared a number of our favorite side dishes, appetizers and desserts, including:
…but we certainly can’t forget stuffing!
Our recipe is a take on a classic family recipe that we made gluten- and dairy free. Despite the lack of gluten and dairy, it’s still just as popular at our Thanksgiving table.
The key ingredient is the bread. Believe us when we say not all gluten free bread is created equal! Canyon Bakehouse is our gluten free bread of choice when it comes to texture, flavor and versatility. We like to use their 7-Grain bread, but we’ve also used their Mountain White Bread and it’s equally delicious. You can find Canyon Bakehouse gluten free bread at many retailers across the country – check out their store locator here!
Other key ingredients for delicious gluten-free stuffing are plenty of aromatics (garlic, onion, shallots, celery). We always include a mix of fresh and dried herbs, mushrooms for some meatiness and cranberries for a pop of brightness and tartness.
Everyone has a different family recipe for stuffing – we hope you enjoy ours!Print
Our take on stuffing is both gluten free and vegetarian, but it’s still packed with plenty of flavor!
To toast bread:
- 10 cups cubed Canyon Bakehouse 7 Grain Bread (2 loaves)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
- 1/2 cup shallots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 1/4 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 1/4 cup peeled and diced apple
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp dried sage
- 2 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 2 flax eggs (1 tbsp flax meal to 2.5 tbsp water for each egg)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Remove crust from bread and cube into small pieces. Transfer to 2 large sheet pans.
- In a small bowl. whisk together olive oil, sage, italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper. Pour over bread cubes and gently toss until bread is well coated.
- Toast in oven for 8-9 minutes, until golden brown.
- Decrease oven temperature to 375 F.
- Heat large stock pot over medium heat. Add oil.
- Once oil is heated, add celery, mushrooms, onion, garlic and shallot. Cook 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in cranberries, apple, pecans, salt, pepper, sage and Italian seasoning and stir well. Add toasted bread, flax eggs, broth and parsley and stir.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 30 minutes, stirring 3-4 times to make sure all of the bread has absorbed the liquid.
- Transfer to baking dish and bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on top.