This is one of those sandwiches that reminds you why you like sandwiches. Perfectly composed, with a little bit of crunch, tang, lots of flavor, fresh greens, a creamy avocado sauce, and the best part: melty vegan cheese!
We absolutely love partnering with Field Roast to share our favorite recipes using their Chao slices (which we throw on just about everything we can, and even eat plain sometimes!). If you’ve missed our recent posts, we’ve used their Tomato Cayenne Slices in these cheesy vegan hasselback potatoes, their Creamy Original Slices in these amazing lasagna roll-ups, and their Tomato Cayenne in vegan quesadillas! Currently working on an enchilada recipe – stay tuned!
The Creamy Original flavor is our favorite choice for sandwiches. It’s most similar to regular cheese, and it melts beautifully. We’ve used it on all sorts of sandwiches/paninis – an apple, caramelized onion & fig panini (yum!!), a pesto avocado grilled cheese, and this chickpea melt!
The chickpea salad filling is a slight variation of a recipe we shared last year. I honestly forgot how good it was – it’s super flavorful and fresh, thanks to lots of fresh dill (my favorite herb!). We usually make a double batch and keep the leftovers in a container in the fridge to grab for a quick, healthy lunch or snack. By the way – don’t waste the liquid from the can of chickpeas! Save it and use the aquafaba for chocolate mousse or the best waffles you’ve ever had. There are plenty more uses for aquafaba, and it’s quickly becoming one of our favorite ingredients, so don’t waste it!
Doesn’t get much better than this for a delicious, filling vegan lunch!Print
This vegan alternative to a tuna melt is equally delicious and a great way to change up your lunch routine.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 1 hour in hot water or 2–4 in room temp water
- 1 tsp miso
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 16. oz can chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (optional)
- ¼ fresh chopped dill
- 1 1/2 tbsp chives
- Gluten free/vegan sandwich bread of choice
- 2 slices Creamy Original Chao Slices per sandwich
- Chickpea salad
- Pickled red onion
- Avocado spread
- Soak cashews for 1 hour in hot water or 2-4 hours in room temp water. Drain and rinse cashews.
- Add miso, water, lemon juice, mustard, apple cider vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper to blender.
- Blend until starts to form a smooth paste.
- Slowly stream in olive oil and continue blending until smooth. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- In a bowl, stir together chickpeas, cucumber, carrot, celery, sunflower seeds, dill and chives. Pour sauce over mixture and stir well to coat.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place two slices of Chao on the bottom half of bread. Bake for 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melty.
- Remove from oven and top with chickpea salad, onions, greens, and another slice of bread spread with avocado.
Make the chickpea filling up to a week ahead to pull this sandwich together quickly.