This vegan avocado chocolate mousse is silky smooth, SO rich and delicious and surprisingly nutritious! Ready in less than 10 minutes, it's perfect for a light dessert or afternoon snack. (And no, nobody will know it's made with avocado!)
This easy avocado mousse is one of the oldest recipes on our blog. We just recently re-tested it and couldn't believe we'd forgotten how insanely delicious it is!
We gave the mousse a few updates (with a video tutorial and brand new photos), but the recipe is just as quick and easy. And truly, you'd NEVER know it's made with avocados.
The avocado flavor is totally undetectable. We've even tested this recipe on my very-much-not-vegan grandpa, and he went back for seconds. (That is, of course, before we told him what it's made out of!)
This vegan avocado chocolate mousse is the PERFECT easy dessert. It's made with just six simple ingredients and comes together in less than 10 minutes. Great for a weeknight sweet treat or a make-ahead option for entertaining!
More vegan mousse recipes:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Mousse
- Vegan Pumpkin Mousse
- Vegan Chocolate Mousse made with aquafaba
- Vegan Strawberry Mousse Pie
- Avocados: it's absolutely essential that your avocados are very ripe, otherwise they will not fully incorporate into the mousse.
- Tip: ripe avocados are typically darker in color and yield to gentle pressure. If you're still not sure, remove the stem at the top of the avocado. If the stem comes off easily and is green underneath, it's ripe. If it's brown, it's overripe and shouldn't be used in this mousse.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: we use cacao powder, but any variety of unsweetened cocoa powder will do in this recipe. (Note: don't use Dutch process cocoa powder.)
- Maple syrup: make sure to use pure maple syrup, not pancake syrup. Agave nectar works as a 1:1 substitute.
- Nondairy milk: cashew, almond, oat or coconut milk will all work in this recipe.
- Vanilla extract
This recipe could not possibly get any easier.
Add everything to a food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy. Serve.
Seriously, that's it!
To go into a bit more detail, you can use either a blender or a food processor. You may need to scrape down the sides a few times to make sure everything is fully incorporated. (You definitely don't want to end up with a random chunk of unblended avocado!)
We like to serve our avocado mousse in small glass jars or ramekins. You won't need a huge serving; you'll be surprised at how rich and decadent it tastes! Just a few spoonfuls is so satisfying and the perfect healthier dessert.
If you prefer, you can chill the mousse for an hour or more before serving. I think it tastes great either way, but up to you!
When it comes to toppings, the options are pretty much endless. Here are a few of our favorite toppings for this mousse:
- Vegan whipped cream
- 4 Ingredient Vegan Salted Caramel
- Fresh fruit
- Chopped nuts and seeds (or nut brittle!)
- Crushed cookies
- Mini chocolate chips/chunks/shavings
- Coconut flakes
- Flaky sea salt
How to store avocado mousse
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze avocado mousse. It actually tastes great straight from the freezer (kind of like ice cream!) or you can let it defrost before serving.
More easy vegan dessert recipes:
- Edible Cookie Dough Bites (Vegan)
- Chocolate Covered Apple Slices
- Chocolate Pecan Caramel Turtles
- S'mores Rice Krispie Treats
- Vegan Chocolate Pie
- Healthy Vegan Almond Joy Bars
If you make this easy vegan avocado chocolate mousse, we’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below! We also love to see your creations on Instagram – tag us at @crowded_kitchen so we can see what you’ve been cooking.Print
This vegan avocado chocolate mousse is silky smooth, SO rich and delicious and surprisingly nutritious! Perfect for a light dessert or afternoon snack. (And no, nobody will know it's made with avocado!)
- 3 ripe avocados
- ⅓ cup nondairy milk
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. You may need to scrape down the sides once or twice to make sure everything is incorporated.
- Serve right away with toppings or chill for 1 hour before serving if preferred.
You can sub maple syrup with agave nectar if desired.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: avocado chocolate mousse