This shimmery, spooky cranberry tequila cocktail is inspired by The Upside Down from one of our favorite shows, Stranger Things! It's the perfect cocktail to serve this Halloween, and we've included both an alcoholic and nonalcoholic version so everyone can enjoy.
If you're reading this post, chances are you're one of the tens of millions of people that have watched Stranger Things. If not, and you're just here for a fun Halloween cocktail, that's cool too. (But really, you should probably start watching ASAP.)
Remember that shimmery, floaty stuff always hanging around in the Upside Down? This is a much prettier, most palatable version of that. The secret ingredient? Edible pearl dust!
I'll admit, this cocktail is a bit more tame than what you might imagine for the Upside Down. But who really wants to drink something that looks like this?
That being said, if you would like to make this cocktail extra spooky, feel free to add in some charcoal powder. It's perfectly edible (no weird flavor) and makes any drink or dish instantly spookier. Check out this Black Heart Daiquiri we made last year. Charcoal + dry ice = the ideal Halloween drink!
Aside from the edible pearl dust, the rest of the ingredients for this cocktail are perfectly easy to find at any store. Edible pearl dust can be ordered online (probably the easiest option), or look for it at a craft store (like Michaels).
It doesn't add a weird taste or texture to the drink; it just adds a beautiful shimmering effect. You can use any leftovers for cake or cookie decorating. It looks especially lovely on holiday cookies!
To make this Stranger Things inspired Halloween cocktail, we chose tequila as our liquor of choice.
Alternatively, this would be great with vodka. Other ingredients include cranberry juice, for a deep red hue and tart flavor. Citrus helps tame down the tartness of the cranberries, and simple syrup rounds everything out.
The best way to incorporate the edible pearl dust into the cocktail is to first mix it into a small amount of liquid. We use tart cherry concentrate (a staple in our house), which is a bit more viscous than juice.
Similar to a syrup (but without the sugar), it mixes well with the pearl dust. It's much easier to pour the cherry + pearl dust mixture into the drink and watch the swirl effect take place. (See below!)
Fun party trick, right?
More Halloween recipes we love:
Looking for more Halloween recipes to serve with this Stranger Things Upside Down cocktail? You've come to the right place! Here are a few of our favorites.
- Loaded Vegan Rice Krispie Treats with peanut butter, chocolate, caramel and spooky eyeballs!
- How to make naturally colored vegan Halloween frosting using charcoal powder, matcha, açai and beet powder. Perfect for using on these chocolate cupcakes (vegan + gf)!
- Vegan Almond Joy Candy Bites - these are SO good you guys. Not just for Halloween, but a fun occasion to make an extra large batch.
- Homemade Twix Bars (vegan, gluten free). While we're on the subject of candy, these are another favorite. A great kid-friendly activity!
- Deathly Hallows Cheese Board via Half Baked Harvest. As a die-hard Harry Potter fan, I am OBSESSED. Plus, you can't just make desserts, right?
- Jack-o'-lantern stuffed peppers via Wife Mama Foodie. These is just the cutest savory Halloween recipe!
Raise a glass to Barb (if you know, you know) and enjoy the spookiest night of the year! P.S. - if you don't/can't drink alcohol, we've included a mocktail version in the instructions.Print
This shimmery, spooky cranberry tequila cocktail is inspired by The Upside Down from one of our favorite shows, Stranger Things!
- 3 oz silver tequila
- 1 oz Triple sec (or other orange-flavored liqueur)
- 6 oz unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 oz lime juice
- 1 oz lemon juice
- 1 oz simple syrup
- 6 raspberries & 6 blackberries
- ½ oz tart cherry extract
- ¼ tsp edible pearl dust (optional)
- Muddle 3 raspberries and 3 blackberries in a tall cocktail glass.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice, then add tequila, triple sec, cranberry juice, lime juice, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds.
- Pour into cocktail glass.
- In a small measuring cup or glass, stir together tart cherry and edible pearl dust. Pour into cocktail for shimmering effect. Serve garnished with more berries (optional) and enjoy!
MOCKTAIL: To make a mocktail version of this cocktail, substitute tequila and triple sec for 4 oz of orange juice.
- Category: Cocktail
- Method: Shaken
- Cuisine: Halloween