This Hearty Vegetable soup with lentils is the perfect remedy for a house full of sick family members!
Thanksgiving is over, and just like that, half of the house is sick with a cold. Thankfully, it's SOUP SEASON!
We love loaded veggie soups - they're basically like eating a giant salad, but more filling and much more comforting. (Who wants a giant bowl of raw veggies in December??)
For this batch, we actually made homemade veggie broth using a recipe from one of our favorite cookbooks, Run Fast, Eat Slow. (By the way, stay tuned for an upcoming giveaway where you'll have a chance to win a copy!) The broth, coined "Long Run Mineral Broth", is full of typical root veggies like beets & carrots, and also contains a few unique, mineral-rich ingredients like Kombu Seaweed. We highly recommend both the recipe and the cookbook (especially if you're a runner, as the book was co-authored by Shalane Flanagan!). If you don't have the time to make veggie broth at home, our favorite store-bought version is from Pacific Foods.
When we make this hearty vegetable soup, we cook one large pot, and then split it up just before it's done cooking so we can customize for our dietary needs. We add lentils and gluten free brown rice pasta to our half, and regular pasta + shredded rotisserie chicken to the other half for the boys. If you're not dairy free or vegan, we highly recommend adding a large hunk of parmesan rind to the soup as it boils - it adds a ton of flavor.
Feel free to customize the recipe with vegetables you already have in your kitchen - it works with just about anything and is a great clean-out-your-fridge sort of recipe.Print
Feel free to customize with any vegetables you already have in your fridge!
- 1 small turnip, diced
- 1 small parsnip, diced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green beans, sliced in half
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 ½ cup fresh pumpkin or other squash, cubed
- 1 large bunch of tuscan kale
- 30 oz (2 cans) fire roasted tomatoes
- 6-8 cups veggie broth
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cooked pasta of choice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stock pan over medium heat, sauté diced onion, turnip, parsnip & minced garlic in about 2 tbsp olive oil until softened, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cube/dice additional veggies. Add all other veggies (except kale) to the pan. Stir, and then add in veggie broth, roasted tomatoes, and herbs.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 35-40 minutes, or until veggies are softened. When it's almost ready, add in kale and simmer for additional 5 minutes to soften.
- Cook lentils and pasta separately.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed. Add lentils and pasta to a bowl and pour soup over. Enjoy!
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop