This easy vegan lentil vegetable soup is packed with vegetables and cooks in a little over 30 minutes. Perfect for a nutritious, plant-based weeknight dinner or meal prep!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups diced red potatoes (skin on)
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 3/4 cup French green lentils
- 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 small bunch of Swiss chard or kale, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes and zucchini and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes. Add vegetable broth, vinegar, lentils, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Add swiss chard and parsley and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Lentils: French green lentils (also known as Puy lentils) are smaller and firmer than regular brown or green lentils. They're my favorite choice for a brothy soup like this one as they don't turn to mush!
Italian seasoning blends typically contain oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary and sage. If you don't have a blend, simply add a mix of these dried herbs to the soup.
Want to make your own vegetable broth? Try this recipe.
We add a dash of white wine vinegar to this soup for acidity, which helps balance everything out and add a bit of brightness. If you don't have any, feel free to use another acid like freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Storage: let soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Freezer storage: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat over medium in a saucepan.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Easy Lentil Vegetable Soup