You'd never guess this creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta is completely vegan! The creamy, rich sauce is made without cashews (!) – it's luscious, flavorful and super easy to make. This is my new go-to weeknight vegan pasta dinner!
Okay guys, you NEED this pasta in your life.
I'm serious, if you even remotely like sun-dried tomatoes, this is your recipe. It's creamy, flavorful, packed with easy pantry ingredients and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
Sounds like a weeknight dinner hero, agreed? (If you're not on board yet, just check out the close-up below!)
How to make Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
This pasta is a little creamy, a little spicy, a little cheesy, and totally perfect. Here's how to pull it together quickly!
First things first, pick your pasta. Farfalle (bow tie) pasta is my favorite – we used our favorite gluten free brand, but of course feel free to use regular. Penne would be great, too!
When it comes to the sun-dried tomatoes, we use oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes that come in a jar. They're more flavorful, softer and you can use the oil! Start by adding some of the sun-dried tomato oil to a skillet, then start sautéing a thinly sliced onion.
After a few minutes, add in minced garlic and continue cooking until softened and a bit browned. If you so desire to spend a little extra time to caramelize the onions, go for it! It takes extra time, but makes for next level pasta. Check out this post for tips on perfectly caramelized onions.
Next, add in the thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes, let them soften for a minute or two, then add the seasonings. Red pepper flakes add a little heat. Italian seasoning is optional, but if you have some, it adds extra flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Next, add in the vegetable broth and vegan creamer and simmer to make the sauce.
The easiest vegan cream sauce (cashew free!)
Cashews are a super common ingredient in vegan cream sauces (like in this mac and cheese and this mushroom alfredo). While they make for a super creamy, luscious, rich sauce, you have to be sure to soak the cashews for a few hours before using.
For a quick weeknight pasta that you want to get on the table in 30 minutes, cashew cream can be a hinderance. Lucky for you, we finally came up with an AMAZING vegan cream sauce that's made with just two incredibly simple ingredients: vegetable broth and vegan creamer!
With a bit of heat and a handful of vegan parmesan cheese for extra flavor, it turns into a silky, smooth sauce that perfectly coats any kind of pasta!
Even better, it comes together in just one pan, so no extra dishes!
I seriously can't believe it took us this long to figure out this simple method for creamy vegan pasta. Since sharing this recipe, I've made a variation at least once a week. It couldn't be any easier and it comes together in just a few minutes!
Be sure to use an unsweetened vegan creamer. Not sponsored, but we LOVE this plain creamer from Nutpods. We use it in coffee all the time, but since it contains no vanilla or sweeteners, it's perfect for savory recipes, too. There are a few vegan heavy cream alternatives on the market now, too, so use what you can find.
Once the sauce has reduced a bit, add in the artichokes and then the cooked pasta. Toss well to coat. Serve topped with some fresh basil, more red pepper flakes and more vegan parmesan.
More easy vegan pasta recipes
- Vegan Mushroom Alfredo
- Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- Roasted Eggplant, Caramelized Onion and Tomato Pasta
- Easy Pesto Pasta White Bean Salad
- Spinach and Mushroom Stuffed Shells
- Vegan Gnocchi with Tomato Cream Sauce via Short Girl Tall Order
If you make this Vegan Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta recipe, we’d love for you to leave a comment and rating below! We also love to see your creations on Instagram – tag us at @crowded_kitchen so we can see what you’ve been cooking.Print
You'd never guess this creamy Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta is completely vegan! The creamy, rich sauce is made without cashews (!) – it's luscious, flavorful and super easy to make.
- 16 oz. pasta, cooked in salted water
- 2 tbsp oil from a jar of oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz oil-packed sun dried tomatoes, sliced into thin strips
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup plain vegan creamer/heavy cream
- ½ cup vegan parmesan
- ½ cup sliced artichokes
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Add 2 tsp of salt to water for pasta and bring to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet to medium. Add oil from sun-dried tomatoes and add onion. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes, red pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, broth and creamer to pan. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat slightly and let thicken for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in parmesan and artichokes. Add in cooked pasta and toss well.
- Top with fresh basil and extra red pepper flakes.
Make sure the vegan creamer/heavy cream sub is unsweetened!
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan sun-dried tomato pasta