This pasta is everything! So simple, but packed with flavor – the perfect easy weeknight vegan dinner.
Our roasted red pepper cream sauce is made with a cashew cream base. Soaked cashews blend up into a beautifully smooth, silky sauce that perfectly coats pasta! We used gluten free rigatoni, but it’s also great with spaghetti pasta. Topping are simple but complementary – lots of fresh parsley for some brightness, and perfectly toasted pine nuts for depth of flavor and a bit of crunch. Oh, and some vegan parmesan (because duh!).
If you forget to soak the cashews for the sauce (or just don’t have time), you can get away with soaking them in hot water for 15-20 minutes – the sauce just may not be quite as creamy, and you may have to blend for a bit longer, but taste-wise, it will be the same.
If you’re viewing this some time between 2/6-2/11, now’s the time to head on over to our Instagram, where we’re running a giveaway with Le Creuset and Feedfeed under this photo! We used two of their nonstick pans (which are fantastic!) to bring this pasta together. There’s nothing better than a great nonstick pan – clean up was SO easy, and there was certainly no sticking of anything. We’re giving away 2 nonstick pans to one lucky winner, so if you’re in need of some new cookware, head on over!Print
It only takes a few minutes to blend up this creamy vegan roasted red pepper sauce – you can even make it ahead of time for a super quick weeknight dinner!
- 12 oz cooked pasta of choice, reserve 1 cup pasta water
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours in warm water
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and roasted
- 3/4 cup diced carrots, roasted
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (alternatively, room temp or warm water works fine)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts – toast in a small pan over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring very frequently (they burn very easily, so keep a close eye on them!)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve water – we’ll be using a bit in the sauce!
- De-seed peppers, quarter and place on sheet pan with a bit of olive oil with diced carrots. Roast 15-20 minutes, then remove from oven and place in bowl covered with aluminum foil. After about 10 minutes, remove skins from pepper (they should come off pretty easily) and discard skin.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-low add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, shallots and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add garlic and continue to cook 3-5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add cooked shallot/garlic mixture, roasted peppers + carrots, cashews, remaining salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, pasta water, turmeric, paprika and pepper to a high speed blender and blend until it forms a paste. Add olive oil and continue blending until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over cooked pasta and toss well to coat. Add more reserved pasta water if needed to thin out.
- Top with toasted pine nuts, fresh parsley and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
To make this a bit quicker, sub homemade roasted red peppers with a store-bought version.