These plant-based Spicy Breakfast Potato Tacos with avocado, jalapeño and vegan chipotle mayo are one of our new favorite homemade brunch recipes. These vegan and gluten free tacos are flavorful, satisfying and easy to make.
This recipe is brought to you by the newest member of our Crowded Kitchen team: our summer intern, Bryce! Bryce just so happens to be my younger brother. He's going into his senior year at Ashland University in Ohio and he's majoring in Marketing. (A few pics of us below!)
We've been planning to hire an intern for quite a while now, and Bryce is the perfect fit (aside from the obvious fact that he's family!). He'll be helping us out with a few things on the business side (business development, tracking analytics, website stuff) and the photography/recipe development side. It's been so fantastic to have an assistant during long photoshoot days, and he's been so great helping out in the kitchen!
These Spicy Breakfast Potato Tacos are his first recipe contribution to Crowded Kitchen. He gave us the idea (one of his favorite things to eat), and we developed the recipe together. It was so much fun, and they're absolutely delicious!
Bryce isn't vegan or gluten free, but he loves these tacos just the way they are - no meat or eggs necessary.
The spicy potatoes are the most important component of this taco. We dice and boil the potatoes first, then pan-fry them with spices until crispy and delicious. It's challenging to refrain from eating the potatoes straight from their pan - they're addictive! (Potatoes are easily one of my favorite foods, so I may be biased.)
We first toyed with the idea of adding scrambled tofu, but honestly, these are perfect with just potatoes! Of course, if you prefer to add more protein, go ahead and add in some scrambled tofu (or eggs of your choice).
Our toppings of choice include thinly sliced jalapeños, pickled red onion, avocado and spicy vegan mayo.
We'd definitely like to experiment with our own vegan mayo recipe in the future, but for the time being, we love using this store-bought version. It's probably our favorite condiment. We use it on everything! For evidence: it's in this breakfast sandwich, these veggie burgers and a dipping sauce for these sweet potato fries.
These Spicy Vegan Breakfast Potato Tacos are perfect for your next brunch at home. But if you're looking for more savory vegan breakfast/brunch recipes, here are a few favorites:
- Vegan Spring Vegetable Frittata
- Scrambled Tofu & Avocado Breakfast Sandwiches
- Vegan Polenta Eggs Benedict
- Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos
- Savory Quinoa Breakfast Bowls
These Spicy Breakfast Potato Tacos with avocado, jalapeño and vegan chipotle mayo are one of our new favorite homemade brunch recipes. These vegan and gluten free tacos are flavorful, satisfying and easy to make. Give them a try this weekend!
- 2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes (about 5-6 medium-sized potatoes)
- 2 tbsp oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Tortillas of choice
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 1 small jalapeño, sliced thinly
- Pickled red onions (optional)
- Spicy vegan mayo
- Cilantro and lime for garnish
- Fill a stock pot with water and a large pinch of salt (at least 1 tsp). Bring to a boil.
- Wash and dice potatoes, then add to boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes, until they just start to become fork-tender.
- Drain well. Heat a large skillet over medium and add neutral oil or butter.
- Add potatoes and spices. Stir gently to coat potatoes in spices. Let the potatoes get crispy on one side (about 5 minutes), then flip and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add more salt if necessary/desired.
- To assemble tacos, warm tortillas, then top with potatoes, avocado, sliced jalapeño, pickled red onion and vegan mayo. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 481
- Sugar: 3.2 g
- Sodium: 622.5 mg
- Fat: 34.1 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.9 g
- Trans Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2 g
- Fiber: 7.3 g
- Protein: 4.8 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: breakfast potato tacos