If you don’t think you like tofu, try these easy vegan breakfast tacos! Tofu has never been my favorite plant-based protein option. I love it when it’s fried or very crispy & otherwise just tolerate it. However, I found myself eating these scrambled tofu breakfast tacos by the plateful.
Savory breakfast tacos are a great brunch option if you’re hosting for a large crowd with different dietary restrictions. It’s easy to set up a taco bar with vegan and non-vegan components (we make cheesy scrambled eggs for the rest of the family). Each family member can go wild with their own topping choices. I personally like mine fairly simple, and opt for scrambled tofu, some black beans, avocado (or guacamole) and thinly sliced radishes.
I also love a side of rosemary roasted potato wedges & hot sauce with these vegan breakfast tacos. Honestly, I could probably eat that combo every morning! The mushroom and fennel mixture is a definite highlight as well. If you don’t like tofu, you could make the mushrooms your primary taco filling! Now the real question…are margaritas acceptable for brunch?! Maybe if they have kombucha!Print
Scrambled tofu is the perfect vegan alternative to eggs – it makes for a delicious, filling breakfast taco!
- 14 oz (or 1 package) of firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2–3/4 tsp turmeric
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large portobello mushrooms, cut in half and sliced
- 1 8 oz box button mushrooms, ends cut off and sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, cut in half, cored, and sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Corn tortillas
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced tomatoes
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Microgreens for garnish
- Lime slices
- Wrap tofu in a towel or paper towel and press out moisture for 30 minutes (we put a heavy pan on top).
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu. Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and pour into bowl with tofu.
- Stir well to coat crumbled tofu.
- In a pan over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add tofu mixture, stirring frequently until warmed and ready to serve.
- In a large pan, heat oil to medium.
- Add in mushrooms, fennel, parsley, salt and pepper and sauté until tender.
- Assemble tacos as desired.