If you don't think you like tofu, try these easy vegan breakfast tacos! They're a light, nutritious, and easy way to start off your day. We combine tofu and mushrooms to deliver a protein-packed vegan breakfast taco that will keep you going for hours.
🌮 Why We Love This Recipe
- Full of protein: It can be tough to work protein into your day as a vegan or vegetarian, but this recipe makes it easy and delicious.
- Easy to make and modify: We love using the scrambled tofu as a base, and then customizing with whatever we're in the mood for. We included a mushroom sauté here, but the possibilities are almost endless (think veggies, black beans, cheese, etc!).
- Great way to use tofu: Sometimes it can be tough to think up a way to use up that block of tofu sitting in the fridge, but this is an awesome way to use it all in one go.
- Meal prep superstar: This is the perfect recipe to make a big batch of on Sunday, then eat as a quick lunch/breakfast throughout the week.
Here's everything you'll need to make these scrambled tofu breakfast tacos:
📋 Ingredient Notes
- Tofu: We recommend using firm tofu in this recipe. Extra firm should work OK as well, but soft or silken tofu will not create the desired crumble. Be sure to press the tofu to remove excess moisture before cooking, otherwise it will be very moist.
- Mushrooms: We opted for portobello and shiitake, but feel free to use the mushrooms of your choosing. Maitake or trumpets would be good substitutions. You can also sub with another vegetable of choice, like onion, zucchini, eggplant, peppers, etc.
- Nutritional yeast: this all-natural deactivated yeast adds a cheesy, eggy flavor to the tofu, making it more similar to scrambled eggs.
- Turmeric: turmeric is mostly for color in this recipe, so feel free to leave out if you don't have any on hand.
🔪 Step-by-step Instructions
PREP: Wrap 14 oz of tofu (a standard block will be 14 oz) in a cloth or paper towel and press out moisture for 30 minutes by placing a heavy object on top. A heavy pot/pan or a big book will work.
(1) In a large bowl, use your fingers to crumble the tofu into tiny bits.
(2) Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and pour into bowl with tofu. Stir well to coat crumbled tofu.
(3) In a pan over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add tofu mixture, stirring frequently until warmed. Set aside in a bowl.
(4) In the same pan, add more oil and keep the heat on medium. Add in mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and sauté until tender.
(5) Assemble tacos as desired. We love topping ours with avocado, pickled onions, vegan cheese, etc.
💭 Expert Tips and FAQs
- Serving suggestion: We love to serve these as part of a breakfast taco bar for the whole family. You can include all the fillings in this recipe alongside regular protein / cheeses for your non-vegan family members. I love to add black beans and guacamole to mine. They're also great as burritos!
- Hot sauce: Breakfast without hot sauce just doesn't make sense to me. A nice splash of hot sauce takes these tacos to another level.
- Meal prep: A great idea is to use the filling in a mini burrito instead of a taco, then refrigerate/freeze until you're ready to eat. This makes meal prepping for lunch or breakfast super easy.
- Make sure to press the tofu: Pressing rids the tofu of any excess moisture. This is an essential step to make sure you have a nice crumbly texture and not a wet mess. We wrap our tofu in a paper towel and set a heavy object (10 lbs. / 5 kg.) -- a cast iron pan is perfect -- on top of the tofu and let it press for 30 minutes.
Yes, just place the tofu mixture and the mushrooms in separate bowls and cover. It's a idea to prep a big batch ahead of time and then eat throughout the week.
Yes, but we recommend using larger tortillas and creating breakfast burritos. Wrap them in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container, then microwave when you're ready to eat. This is a great way to meal prep for the week.
🍽 Related Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook or by subscribing to our newsletter.Print
Our vegan breakfast tacos are a light, nutritious, and easy way to start off your day. We combine tofu and mushrooms to deliver a protein-packed vegan breakfast taco that will keep you going for hours.
- 14 oz (or 1 package) of firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cumin powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced avocado
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Pickled veggies of your choice
- Wrap 14 oz of tofu (a standard block will be 14 oz) in a cloth or paper towel and press out moisture for 30 minutes by placing a heavy object on top. A heavy pot/pan or a big book will work.
- In a large bowl, use your fingers to crumble the tofu into tiny bits.
- Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and pour into bowl with tofu. Stir well to coat crumbled tofu.
- In a pan over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add tofu mixture, stirring frequently until warmed. Set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add more oil and keep the heat on medium. Add in mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper and sauté until tender.
- Assemble tacos as desired.
Make sure to press the tofu by wrapping it in a paper towel/cloth and setting a heavy object on top of it. Let it press for 30 minutes.
This recipe works great as a breakfast bar. Put each component in a small bowl and let your family customize their own breakfast tacos.
Make mini burritos and then freeze for meal prep!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Taco
- Calories: 239
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 712.2 mg
- Fat: 16.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
Keywords: vegan breakfast tacos, scrambled tofu tacos