This scrambled tofu and avocado breakfast sandwich convinced me that I’m a big fan of breakfast sandwiches. I’m usually more of a toast gal (mostly because of how easy it is), but it’s not much more effort to build a sandwich, and it’s definitely worth the effort!
To be transparent, both of us do occasionally eat eggs (otherwise we’re fully vegetarian + dairy free). It’s a personal choice and perhaps it will change, but for now, it works for us and we’re not here to judge anyone’s dietary choices. Having said that, we actually really prefer scrambled tofu over eggs, especially in this breakfast sandwich!
This scrambled tofu is super flavorful and easy to prep ahead of time. That’s a huge plus if you want to assemble this breakfast sandwich on a weekday morning. If you prep the tofu ahead of time, you could easily throw this together in 5 minutes. Simply wrap it up and hit the road with a delicious, well-rounded breakfast in tow.
Canyon Gluten Free is our go-to brand for fantastic gluten free breads + other baked goods. They make great sandwich bread for grilling panini. A few months ago, they came out with gluten free English Muffins! Back before realizing I was allergic to gluten, English muffins were my go-to for a quick breakfast sandwich on a busy morning. Until now, I hadn’t found a gluten free alternative worth eating. Canyon Gluten Free exceeded expectations with these English muffins and now I always have two bags in my freezer! I love that they have some substance and chew, but it’s not so much bread that it overpowers the filling/topping. Again, to be transparent – if you are fully vegan, please note that these do contain egg whites.
Other scrambled tofu breakfast sandwich essentials: spicy aioli or mayo for a bit of a kick and creaminess, micro greens (best choice for any sandwich, IMO), and of course, avocado. How’s that for breakfast on-the-go?Print
Gluten free english muffins are the perfect vehicle for this satisfying scrambled tofu and avocado breakfast sandwich. You can make the filling ahead of time and throw this together in 5 minutes for an on-the-go breakfast!
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ½–¾ tsp turmeric
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Canyon Gluten Free Original English Muffins, sliced in half and toasted
- 2 tbsp spicy vegan mayo
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup micro greens of choice
- Wrap tofu in a towel or paper towel and press out moisture for 30 minutes (we put a heavy pan on top).
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu. Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and pour into bowl with tofu. Stir well to coat crumbled tofu.
- In a pan over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add tofu mixture, stirring frequently until warmed and ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, toast english muffins and spread each half with vegan mayo. Add a layer of scrambled tofu, followed by microgreens, avocado, and the other half of the english muffin. Enjoy!
If you don’t like english muffins, this would also be great as a bagel sandwich, or as an open-faced regular sandwich (also known as toast ;)).
Keywords: vegan breakfast, on-the-go