Your search for a satisfying, protein-packed and tasty vegan breakfast is over. This savory vegan breakfast bowl, with crispy potatoes, spicy scrambled tofu and fresh avocado and tomatoes is all you’ll want in the morning. Plus, you can prep everything ahead of time. Hello vegan breakfast meal prep!
Start with the spicy potatoes
In my book, the best breakfasts start with crispy potatoes. First, add a little spice. In this case, a warming blend of cumin, paprika, chili and garlic powder. Suddenly, you have the beginnings of a perfect breakfast. And let’s be honest, stopping with these crispy potatoes is just fine!
We’ve been making a rendition of these spicy breakfast potatoes for years. We first brought them to you in Spicy Potato Breakfast Tacos, a la brother and diligent summer intern Bryce. The potatoes are incredibly versatile, and certainly not just for breakfast. Though best hot and crispy from the oven, they also work as leftovers to add heartiness to a fresh salad or as an afternoon snack. Why not?
Next comes a quick scrambled tofu
The protein-packed tofu scramble in this vegan breakfast bowl came to you first in our favorite gluten-free breakfast sandwiches. And while we still love that sandwich for an on-the-go breakfast, when you’ve done a bit of meal prep or have time to sit and enjoy breakfast or brunch, this scrambled tofu compliments roasted potatoes beautifully. With a savory, cheesy flavor from nutritional yeast and an eggy yellow from turmeric, this tofu scramble will make any omelette-loving brunch eater do a double-take.
We bump up the spice in the tofu as well. A dash of chili powder, cayenne and cumin adds some heat without being overpowering. It’s still early, after all.
Cool things down with fresh veggies
The second most important aspect of the perfect vegan breakfast, or any meal really, is creamy avocado. With all that spice from the potatoes and tofu scramble, we decided to cool things down a bit and add some healthy fats with thick avocado slices. Now that we’re nearing tomato season, we also couldn’t resist a few beautiful cherry tomatoes. Along with thinly sliced mini sweet peppers, you have a color palette that’s as beautiful as it is nutritionally-dense.
The great thing about high-protein vegan breakfasts like this bowl is that they’re 100% customizable. Not a fan of tofu? Swap out another protein, vegan or otherwise. Eggs are always an option, or your favorite beans. Maybe try the black beans in this vegan burrito bowl recipe–let us know what you think!
This post contains affiliate links, which means that Crowded Kitchen may be compensated for products purchased.Print
You’ll be craving this high-protein vegan breakfast bowl with spicy potatoes, scrambled tofu & fresh avocado, tomatoes and sweet peppers every morning. Plus it’s perfect for meal prep!
Spicy Pan-Fried Potatoes:
- 2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes (about 5–6 medium-sized potatoes)
- 2 tbsp oil or vegan butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 28 oz firm tofu
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1–1.5 tsp turmeric
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced into rings
- Fresh basil
To make the potatoes:
- Fill a stock pot with water and a large pinch of salt (at least 1 tsp). Bring to a boil.
- Wash and dice potatoes, then add to boiling water and cook for 10-15 minutes, until they just start to become fork-tender.
- Drain well. Heat a large skillet over medium and add neutral oil or butter.
- Add potatoes and spices. Stir gently to coat potatoes in spices. Let the potatoes get crispy on one side (about 5 minutes), then flip and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add more salt if necessary/desired.
To make the tofu:
- Wrap tofu in a towel or paper towel and press out moisture for 30 minutes (we put a heavy pan on top).
- In a large bowl, crumble the tofu. Whisk dry ingredients in a small bowl and pour into bowl with tofu. Stir well to coat crumbled tofu.
- In a pan over medium heat, drizzle a bit of olive oil and add tofu mixture, stirring frequently until warmed and ready to serve.
To assemble the bowls:
- Divide potatoes and scrambled tofu between four serving bowls. Top with sliced avocado, tomatoes, sweet peppers and hand-torn basil leaves.