Who says oatmeal has to be sweet? This savory vegan oatmeal with sautéed mushrooms, kale and avocado is equally delicious and makes for a filling, hearty breakfast!
This post is sponsored by Flahavan's. All opinions are our own.
Savory oatmeal is finally starting to catch on in the foodie world. For whatever reason, we
The possibilities are endless when it comes to savory oatmeal, but we found a balanced recipe with plenty of plant protein, healthy fats, greens, and flavor. If you're looking for a vegan breakfast that's nutritious and keeps you full until lunch, this is the recipe for you!
Let's start with the actual oatmeal: we use Flahavan's Irish Steel Cut Quick to Cook oatmeal, which has all of the flavor and texture of hearty steel cut oats, but cooks in 5 minutes. We think it's pretty cool that Flahavan's Oatmeal is the oldest family-owned food business in Ireland. How incredible is that?!
Flahavan's recently launched new packaging in the US that features local oat farmers in Ireland. We love brands that are transparent in their sourcing. We especially admire Flahavan's for their commitment to continuing a family tradition.
We've probably mentioned this before, but Ireland is one of our absolute favorite travel destinations. My husband and I (Lexi) dream of living there at some point. We'll see if it actually happens, but we'll keep dreaming!
Brent and I first traveled to Ireland while studying abroad in Berlin during our senior year of college to spend our week-long fall break in Killarney, Ireland. We had the most magical week, spending 90% of our time outdoors (with unseasonably warm weather for October!) hiking, running, walking, biking and taking in the beautiful sights.
Our whole family returned to Ireland in 2017 to spend another 9 days traveling around southwest Ireland. Below are a few of our favorites.
Back to this savory vegan oatmeal. Even if you think savory oatmeal sounds strange, give these a try just for kicks. We promise they'll change your mind!
If you really can't be swayed, here are a few recipes/ideas for sweeter oats:
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal with Caramelized Bananas
- Try spooning raspberry jam over your next bowl of oats, or make these raspberry oatmeal crumble bars!
Who says oatmeal has to be sweet? This savory version with sautéed mushrooms, kale and avocado is equally delicious and makes for a delicious, hearty breakfast!
- 1 ⅓ cups Flahavan's Steel Cut Quick to Cook Oats (cook according to package directions)
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp tamari (or regular soy sauce)
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups lacinato kale
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pickled Onion
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Cook oats according to package direction. Add salt to cooking water.
- When oats are finished cooking, stir in hemp seeds and nutritional yeast, taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add tamari, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add, kale, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Sauté until kale is wilted.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowl and top as desired. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: savory oatmeal