Our black bean mango salad with grilled corn and a jalapeño lime vinaigrette is a delicious summer side dish. Perfect for serving alongside your favorite grilled entree (vegan or not), as an appetizer, or as a salsa for tacos.
🥭 Why We Love This Recipe
- Lettuce-less: I'm all about lettuce-less salads. They're so much easier to make (and eat!). Don't get me wrong, I love a good kale or spinach salad for lunch. But this salad, with its creamy avocado, grilled corn, mango, and black beans, is much easier for entertaining and it doesn't get soggy!
- Multi-purpose: You can serve this salad as a side dish, an appetizer (served with tortilla chips) or as a salsa. It's also great served chilled or room temperature, so it's perfect for bringing to a potluck.
- Full of fresh, summery flavors: Mango, lime, cilantro, avocado, and perfectly grilled sweet corn are some of our favorite refreshing summer flavors.
- Naturally vegan and gluten free!
Here's everything you'll need to make this mango black bean salad:
📋 Ingredient Notes
- Mango: Red mangos or alphonse mangos will both work in this recipe. We find that alphonse mangos in particular have a more predictable texture, are easier to cut, and taste better.
- Corn: You can grill the corn husked or unhusked, but we'd recommend unhusking it so that you can get a lot of char on the corn. Most supermarkets also sell packs of 3 husked, trimmed corn cobs.
🔪 Step-by-step Instructions
(1) Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill 3 ears of corn (unhusked) for 8-10 minutes, turning a few times to char on all sides.
(2) Remove from grill and slice kernels off cob into a large bowl. Add remaining salad ingredients (1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved, 1 large avocado, diced, 1 ½ cup diced mango, 2 15. oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed), and stir.
(3 & 4) In a separate bowl, whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette (⅓ cup olive oil, 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, 1 teaspoon lime zest, 2 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoon finely minced jalapeño (1 small jalapeño), 1 teaspoon fine kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon maple, agave, or honey).
(5) Pour vinaigrette over salad, stir well and enjoy! If desired, chill in refrigerator for one hour before serving.
💭 Expert Tips and FAQs
- What to serve with: We like to serve this black bean mango salad as a summery side dish alongside grilled veggies, tofu (or other proteins for the non-vegans in your family).
- Make ahead: This is a great salad to make ahead since it actually tastes better after sitting for a few hours. For maximum flavor, we suggest making this salad a minimum of 3 hours before serving to give the dressing plenty of time to flavor the beans and corn.
- Cooking the corn: We'd recommend grilling the corn unhusked. Make sure to turn the corn frequently, as it can burn pretty quickly on the grill.
- Substitutions: Feel free to sub mango with pineapple or even peaches. You can also sub black beans with kidney beans or white beans if preferred, although we love the creamy texture of black beans.
- Not a fan of spice? The jalapeño really doesn't add to much spice since it's paired with sweeter ingredients, but if you're super sensitive, feel free to reduce the amount or leave it out altogether.
The best way to cut a mango is to hold it upright on a cutting board. Using a paring knife, cut down the center, avoiding the pit and any rough areas around the center. You should end up with two mango halves. Cut a grid into each half, without cutting all the way through the skin. Then, "pop" the halves inside out, and cut off the resulting tiny squares. Here's a good visual tutorial.
🍽 Related Recipes
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook or by subscribing to our newsletter.Print
This black bean mango salad with grilled corn and a jalapeño lime vinaigrette is a delicious summer side dish. Perfect for serving alongside a vegan or non-vegan grilled main dish, as an appetizer, or as a salsa for tacos.
- 3 ears of corn, grilled
- 1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 ½ cup diced mango
- 2 15. oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- For garnish: fresh cilantro, lime
Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp finely minced jalapeno (1 small jalapeno)
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp maple, agave, or honey
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill corn for 8-10 minutes, turning a few times to char on all sides.
- Remove from grill and slice kernels off cob into a large bowl. Add remaining salad ingredients and stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette. Pour over salad, stir well and enjoy!
We like to serve this black bean mango salad as a summery side dish alongside grilled veggies or meats.
Make ahead: This is a great salad to make ahead since it actually tastes better after sitting for a few hours. For maximum flavor, we suggest making this salad a minimum of 3 hours before serving to give the dressing plenty of time to flavor the beans and corn.
Cooking the corn: We'd recommend cooking the corn unhusked. Make sure to turn the corn frequently, as it can burn rather easily on the grill.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Salad
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 9.6 g
- Sodium: 712.1 mg
- Fat: 19.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 37.4 g
- Fiber: 11.4 g
- Protein: 9.3 g
Keywords: black bean mango salad