We’re going to go ahead and say it…summer is here! Although it’s not official for about another month (which seems so long!), we’ve had some truly beautiful weather in the last few weeks. A good mix of rain and sun means our veggie & herb garden has already grown quite a bit, so we’re getting the most out of it by enjoying this summery salad for Memorial Day weekend.
We have a pretty exciting weekend here in the Crowded Kitchen household – my fiancé’s family is coming in from NYC for the long weekend! Brent and I are getting married on September 1st in western MA and our wedding is going to be relatively small, so instead of hosting a bridal shower, we just decided to spend this Memorial Day weekend with family and close friends to celebrate our engagement. We’ll be spending lots of time cooking, eating, drinking (duh) and enjoying the beautiful weather – I can’t wait!
On to the salad (which is why you’re probably here); the basil vinaigrette is probably my favorite component – it really brings all of the flavors together and tastes even better when it sits for a while, so you can definitely make it ahead of time and refrigerate. In addition to avocado, tomatoes, grilled corn and arugula, we also threw in some marinated artichokes and castelvetrano olives for an added layer of texture and salt. If you’re one of those people that really hates olives (like my lovely fiancé), you can certainly leave them out.Print
A basil vinaigrette brings this refreshing salad together.
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- 4 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp agave
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 4 ears of corn, grilled or boiled
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 cup marinated artichokes, quartered
- 1/2 cup castelvetrano olives, halved
- 2 avocados
- To make dressing in a blender, combine all vinaigrette ingredients and pulse until emulsified.
- Grill ears of corn (or boil). Using a sharp knife, cut corn off cob and add to a large bowl. Add additional ingredients and toss with vinaigrette. Enjoy immediately or store in refrigerator.