There's something extra satisfying about tomato soup - it's so rich in flavor and always surprisingly filling, especially when it's loaded with toppings like this! We experimented with this recipe last week on Taco Tuesday - we were originally planning to make tacos but decided tortilla soup sounded like a better fit for the snowy weather we were getting, and luckily we landed on a winning recipe on our first try!
We served this with some homemade crunchy tortilla strips, herbed oil, vegan sour cream, avocado and some crunchy roasted lentils.This is some ideal bread-dipping soup (is that a normal thing to do?). Brush some of your favorite bread with olive oil, s&p and toast until crunchy and golden brown for dipping perfection. Or make some grilled cheese, because duh.Print
Best served with (healthier) homemade tortilla strips (recipe below) and a refreshing herb oil!
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large jalapeño, deseeded, and diced finely
- 1 large carrot, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup diced sweet potato (can leave skin on if desired)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz can organic fired roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Homemade tortilla strips:
- 2 corn tortillas sliced into thin strips
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Warm olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic. and jalapeño and cook 5-7 min until softened and onions are translucent. Add all of the rest of the ingredients, cover, and cook 30-35 minutes until veggies are fork tender. Put all of the ingredients in a blender or use an immersion blender and mix until pureed.
- To make homemade crunchy tortilla strips, slice 2 corn tortillas into thin strips. Brush both sides with olive oil and lay out on baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 8-10 min at 350 F or until crispy and slightly browned.
- To make herbed oil, use a mortar and pestle to grind together parsley, cilantro, olive oil, lime juice and salt.
- Serve soup with rice or bread, and top with finely diced avocados, herbed oil, sour cream, and tortilla chips.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop