This vegan tortilla soup is fresh, flavorful and delicious! With black beans and corn, it's hearty and filling, perfect for a weeknight dinner. It's also super quick and easy to make, with just a few simple steps and about 20 minutes of hands on work!
- 2 tbsp oil (olive, avocado, vegetable, etc)
- 1 yellow onion, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium jalapeño, deseeded, and minced (~ 3 tbsp)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3-4 tbsp taco sauce*
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 28 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For serving: avocado, tortilla strips (recipe below), cilantro, lime, pickled onions
Homemade Tortilla Strips
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral high heat oil (avocado, vegetable)
- Salt and chili powder to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, jalapeño and bell pepper and continue cooking for 5 minutes, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Stir in taco sauce, oregano, chili powder, salt, cumin and paprika until the vegetables are well coated. Add in vegetable broth, fire roasted tomatoes, lime juice, black beans and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, then stir in the cilantro and cook for additional 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with tortilla strips (instructions below), sliced avocado, cilantro, fresh lime wedges, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice tortillas in half, then cut into 1/2" strips. Toss tortilla strips with olive oil, salt and chili powder to taste.
- Arrange in an even layer with no overlap on baking sheet. Bake for 4-5 minutes, then remove from oven and carefully flip over each strip using tongs. Return to oven for additional 3-5 minutes, until crispy and light golden brown.
Taco sauce: taco sauce is typically made with a tomato base, vinegar and dried spices. It's inexpensive, available at most grocery stores, and great in tacos (as the name suggests!). Note that different brands differ in spice levels, so you may want to start with less and add more after tasting the soup. Try this recipe if you want to make it from scratch.
Storage: let soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 days. Reheat in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Freezer storage: Let the soup cool completely before transferring to an airtight, freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 6 months. To reheat, defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat over medium in a saucepan.
For a thicker, more stew-like soup, let the soup simmer for longer (up to an hour). It actually even tastes better the longer it simmers!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 378
- Sugar: 11.4 g
- Sodium: 1687.2 mg
- Fat: 14.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 55.5 g
- Fiber: 13.4 g
- Protein: 10.9 g
Keywords: vegan tortilla soup