Keeping this post super short because it’s T-minus 30 hours until the Super Bowl kicks off, which means you need to get yourself to the grocery store ASAP and stock up on the essentials, including lots of onions so you can make this amazing vegan caramelized onion dip!!
This kind of dip totally takes me back to my childhood – we made dips like this alllll the time (non-vegan versions, of course). While I don’t crave things like this often, there’s definitely something satisfying and nostalgic about munching on a creamy, savory dip with salty potato chips while pretending to watch the Super Bowl. I might not even pretend this year, I’ll probably just play with the dogs and make more food while my husband has five panic attacks about teams he is not affiliated with in any way. (Can you tell I’m not a fan of watching football?)
ANYWAYS, I’m getting off topic and I promised to keep this short.
The key to the success of this dip is obviously the caramelized onions. Making perfect caramelized onions is a labor of love – it’s well worth the 45 minutes spent in front of/in close proximity to your stovetop. It’s really important to keep a close eye on the onions so that they don’t burn, but you also don’t want to stir too frequently, otherwise it will take ages.
Low heat is key – for the first 15 minutes, it won’t look like much is happening, but don’t be tempted to crank it to high. I promise, they’ll be perfect if you follow the instructions!
Here’s a before/after of what they should look like:
Now that we’ve covered the onions, let’s talk vegan alternatives to dairy. There are a ton of great options on the market, but I’ll link to the ones we specifically used in the recipe, because they turned out great and I can’t vouch for every vegan product out there. We used this vegan cream cheese (though we’ve also had success with Kite Hill products), and we just recently discovered this tofu-based sour cream, which I know, sounds really bizarre, but it’s honestly delicious and really mimics traditional sour cream. We used it on top of these hasselback potatoes the other day – yum!
We suggest serving this with some traditional kettle chips (ugh, so good), but we also always throw some sliced veggies in there, because why not.
Enjoy, and happy Super Bowl-ing(?)!Print
This creamy, savory vegan caramelized onion dip is the perfect Super Bowl appetizer!
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 12 oz vegan sour cream, softened at room temp
- 10 oz vegan cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Slice onions very thinly.
- Heat a large pan to medium and add butter. Once butter is melted, reduce heat to low and add onions and salt. Sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- After about 15 minutes, add soy sauce and start adding wine, little by little, stirring often.
- Continue cooking for about 15 minutes, or until onions are deeply golden brown and caramelized. (See above photos for reference).
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together vegan sour cream and cream cheese. Add caramelized onions and chopped chives and stir well.
- Serve with chips and sliced veggies. Enjoy!
Tamari/soy sauce helps the caramelization process and adds extra umami flavor – it’s just not the same without it!
Keywords: super bowl, vegan dips