This vegan caramelized onion dip is the creamy, savory, addictive dip you need in your life! Perfect for game day or a holiday appetizer, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser.
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 12 oz vegan sour cream, softened at room temp
- 10 oz vegan cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice both ends off of each onion, then halve from root to top. Slice the onions very thinly.
- Heat a large pan to medium and add butter. Once butter is melted, reduce heat to low and add onions. Sauté for 10-15 minutes, stirring often.
- After about 15 minutes, add salt, sugar and about 1 tbsp of wine. Stir well and continue cooking at low heat.
- Continue cooking for about 20-30 minutes, or until onions are deeply golden brown and caramelized. Add a splash of wine every 5-10 minutes to deglaze the pan. Keep the heat low to prevent burning - the goal here is low and slow heat for perfect caramelization! (See above photos for reference).
- Remove the caramelized onions from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Roughly chop into smaller pieces.
- Add softened cream cheese, sour cream, caramelized onions, chives and garlic powder to a mixing bowl. Stir well or use a hand mixer to combine. Season with salt and pepper - taste and adjust as desired.
- Optional: chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator before serving. Serve with chips and sliced veggies. Enjoy!
Make sure to let the vegan cream cheese and sour cream soften at room temperature before making this dip. If they're too cold, it will be hard to mix and you'll end up with lumps. Take them out of the fridge as soon as you start the caramelized onions and they should be perfect by the time the dip is ready to assemble.
For best results, we suggest chilling this dip for at least an hour (or up to overnight) before serving. It tastes better cold, and this also helps the flavors meld together. You can can even make the dip up to a few days ahead of time!
Storage: this vegan caramelized onion dip will last for 5-7 days in a tightly covered container in the refrigerator.
White wine: we use a few splashes of white wine in our caramelized onions to deglaze the pan and deepen the flavor. This is optional; you can also use vegetable broth or even a splash of water to deglaze. (But if you do have some wine on hand, try it! It adds so much flavor.)
Sugar: a small amount (1 tsp) of sugar helps the onions caramelize. Feel free to leave it out if desired, or sub with coconut sugar or brown sugar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Dips
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: One Side
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 2.3 g
- Sodium: 642.5 mg
- Fat: 18.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 9.8 g
- Fiber: 0.7 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: vegan caramelized onion dip