This refreshing Asian cucumber salad is cooling and welcome any day of the summer. The dressing is a little spicy, salty and gingery, with a fresh garnish of cilantro and scallions. The result is a bright green dish that makes the most of summer’s produce bounty in a deliciously zesty way.
Tips for storing and slicing ginger
We love dressings full of minced ginger. This root adds an unexpected but lovely note of refreshment and spice to all veggies, cooked or raw. To keep your ginger the freshest, we recommend storing it in the freezer. The root will last for months in there, though once you start making this Asian cucumber salad, you’ll probably go right through your stash.
When it comes time to mince an inch or so of frozen ginger for this recipe or others, simply take the root out of the freezer and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. It defrosts quickly, so you can simply slice off the amount you need and return the rest to the freezer.
The next step is peeling. In fact, if you use a microplane, which is highly handy and one of my favorite kitchen tools, you don’t even need to remove the ginger peel. But, if you’re without such a fine grater, it’s still quite easy to remove the thin ginger skin. Simply use a regular spoon to scrape off the brown outer layer. This way, you’ll remove just the skin and avoid wasting much of the delicous flavor inside.
Spice up your Asian dressing
We complement the ginger flavor in our Asian dressing for this cucumber salad with a hit of chile garlic sauce. We like this brand. It’s great because it adds both spice and a nice garlicky boost. You may find yourself adding an extra spoonful or two to this Asian-inspired salad, and more of your favorite summer salads. It’s especially nice in this rainbow summer slaw!
The perfect cucumber salad for summer meals
This Asian cucumber salad is delicious alongside some of our other favorite vegan summer entrees:
- Smoky Beet Veggie Burgers
- Key Lime Cucumber Gin Cocktail – for any leftover cukes!
- Caprese Panini with Pesto and Avocado
- Balsamic Roasted Strawberry, Ricotta and Mint Toast
This post contains affiliate links, which means that Crowded Kitchen may be compensated for purchases.Print
This refreshing cucumber salad with spicy, salty and gingery Asian dressing is cooling and welcome any day of the summer.
- 2 large cucumbers or 6 mini, sliced thinly
- 1 small shallot, minced or thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp chile garlic sauce
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro and green onion for topping
- Combine shallot, rice vinegar, tamari, coconut sugar, chile garlic sauce, sesame oil, minced ginger, minced garlic and salt in a jar or small bowl.
- Add sliced cucumbers to a large serving bowl, top with dressing and toss. Top with chopped cilantro and green onions for garnish.