Our family is notorious for planning big brunches, then waking up way later than planned and not getting any food on the table until far past noon. While there’s certainly nothing wrong with sleeping in, we’re all a bit too hungry for our overly-ambitious plans of cinnamon rolls, waffles, quiche, etc., so we’re simplifying that by taking a family favorite (smoothie bowls) and letting everyone customize their toppings! Easy, but perfect for a big group and a great way to get the whole family involved.
We’re absolutely thrilled to be working with Cascadian Farm and The Feedfeed this fall to bring you this recipe (and another next month)! This journey of Crowded Kitchen has been full of surprises and has given us so many incredible opportunities to create content for brands we love. It’s especially fulfilling to work with brand like Cascadian Farm, which we have personally used in our home for years.
We love that Cascadian Farm was organic before it was cool to be organic – their founder was inspired to “go back to the land and farm in a way that would not harm the natural beauty of the earth or her inhabitants” & launched their organic farm in the Cascade Mountains of Washington (hence the origin of the name!). Since then, they’ve been growing and producing all organic products.
We used a few of our favorites for these smoothie bowls. The Organic Cherry Berry Frozen Fruit Blend, and the Organic Mango Strawberry Frozen Fruit Blend. We also love these three granola flavors: Fruit & Nut, Dark Chocolate Almond, and French Vanilla Almond. We love that the frozen fruit blends made it even easier to make large batches of these smoothies. There’s no need to open six different frozen fruit bags!
I (Lexi), personally, can’t eat a smoothie bowl without granola. There’s just something so satisfying about the textural difference, and it really makes it feel like a full meal. My favorite flavor is the Dark Chocolate Almond – who doesn’t love a little chocolate for breakfast?!
Let’s talk about toppings. In addition to granola, we always set out a bunch of fresh berries and other sliced fruits. Today’s choice includes blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, figs and kiwi. We also always add a variety of nuts, seeds, and healthy fats, including pepitas, hemp seeds, chia seeds, nut butter, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, etc. My ultimate combo: dark chocolate almond granola, blueberries, raspberries, coconut and peanut or almond butter!
A few tips on getting the right texture for a smoothie bowl:
1. Use mostly frozen fruit, and let it thaw for a few minutes (5-10) before blending. If it’s rock hard, you’ll have to keep adding liquid to make it blend. That could leave you with a watery smoothie.
2. We never use ice in smoothies or smoothie bowls. That is, unless the ice cubes are made out of juice, nut milk, or something other than water. Ice really dampens the flavor and you’ll never be able to get that perfectly smooth texture you see on Instagram!
3. Don’t use too much liquid. Again, you don’t want the end result to be too watery. Otherwise, the toppings will sink and it will be difficult to eat.
4. Bananas are a smoothie bowl’s best friend! Whether frozen or fresh, ripe bananas really help with that smooth texture you’re looking for.
5. You may have to go through more than one blend cycle to make sure all of the frozen fruit is fully blended. It’s better to spend a bit more time blending than to end up with chunks of frozen strawberry!
6. Last but not least, if your blender doesn’t have a tamper to help you push everything down, you can always try blending it in a food processor!
Now, time to blend!Print
The two smoothie recipes included here are: Cherry Berry Smoothie Bowls and Strawberry Mango Ginger Smoothie Bowls.
Cherry Berry Smoothie Bowls:
- 4 cups Cascadian Farm Organic Cherry Berry Frozen Blend
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup almond milk
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp tart cherry concentrate
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Pinch salt
- Handful of spinach (optional)
- Toppings: Cascadian Farm Fruit & Nut Granola, Cascadian Farm Dark Chocolate Almond Granola, fresh berries, cacao nibs, pepitas, coconut
Strawberry Mango Ginger Smoothie Bowls:
- 4 cups Cascadian Farm Organic Strawberry Mango Frozen Blend
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup coconut water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 inch piece fresh, peeled ginger
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- Pinch salt
- Toppings: Cascadian Farm French Vanilla Almond Granola, fresh figs, berries, coconut, chia seeds
- For each smoothie, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy (about 60 seconds).
- Top with Cascadian Farm granola, fresh fruit, coconut, etc. Enjoy!