Our take on classic stuffing is both gluten free and vegan, but it's still packed with plenty of flavor!
- 8 cups cubed multigrain gluten free bread, crusts removed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 flax "egg" (1 tbsp ground flax meal + 2 tbsp water)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peeled and diced apple (we used honeycrisp)
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh chopped thyme
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 1/2-2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 - 1 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup gluten free breadcrumbs (regular or Italian seasoned)
- Preheat oven to 350˚F.
- Remove crust from bread and cube into 1-inch pieces. Add to a large mixing bowl and toss with olive oil. In a separate small bowl, stir together dried sage, thyme, salt and pepper. Sprinkle evenly over bread and toss well to evenly coat. (It's easiest to use your hands for this to make sure the seasonings are evenly distributed).
- Spread bread cubes in an even layer on a sheet pan and bake for 25 minutes, tossing half way through cook time. Keep on eye on the bread for the last 5 minutes to make sure none of it burns.
- While the bread is toasting, make flax egg by stirring together flax meal and water. Let sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Add butter to a large stock pot over medium heat. Once melted, add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add celery, mushrooms, apple, parsley, thyme, sage, 1 1/2 tsp salt and pepper and stir well. Cook until the vegetables are softened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Add toasted bread cubes, breadcrumbs, 1 cup of vegetable broth and flax egg. Stir very well. Let sit for 20 minutes (to allow dry ingredients to absorb liquid). Stir every 5 minutes or so. If the mixture looks too dry, add up to an additional 1/4 cup of broth (add 1 tbsp at a time). Taste and adjust salt if desired.
- Transfer to a baking dish, spread in an even layer and bake for 40-45 minutes, until stuffing is crispy and golden brown on top. Serve warm.
- Category: Thanksgiving
- Method: Stovetop, oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free stuffing