You know the $8 lemon agave “cleansing” juice you buy at Whole Foods? Good news: you can make it at home for about one quarter of the price, and it tastes just as great!
All you’ll need is four simple ingredients – a whole bunch of lemons, water, agave and ginger – and a juicer or blender (we’ve included instructions for both). We actually juiced entire lemons – peel and all – to make this, but you can certainly remove the peel if you’d prefer a less bitter version. And yes, lemon peels are perfectly edible, and actually quite nutritious! Please note that you should wash & scrub the lemon well before using the peel, as they are often sprayed with pesticides and other toxic substances. Although it’s typically fine to buy regular lemons instead of organic, we suggest buying organic if you intend to consume the peel.Print
Easy, nutritious, refreshing… and way less expensive than the fancy bottled version you buy at Whole Foods!
- 2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 1/4 cups filtered water
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 1/2 inch piece of peeled ginger
- If you have a juicer, juice lemons and ginger together. Add juice to blender with water and agave, blend well. Transfer to glass pitcher and refrigerate for 5-7 days.
- If you don’t have a juicer, and peeled and roughly chopped lemons to a blender with grated ginger. Blend well and strain pulp through cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Rinse blender, then blend strained lemon + ginger mixture with water and agave before transferring to glass pitcher.