Kale + tahini are a match made in heaven. The tahini dressing recipe we’ve included here is our go-to recipe for a kale salad – it’s so good that we often only add kale to the salad (and maybe a bit of vegan parmesan + pine nuts), but when we’re in the mood for something with a bit more substance, we’ll add roasted vegetables.
Fall vegetables are perfect for this salad – we’ve added roasted squash and brussels sprouts, but you could also add roasted carrots, cauliflower, etc. We highly suggest massaging your kale with a bit of olive oil, salt & lemon before adding the rest of the salad ingredients – it breaks down the kale a bit, making it much easier to eat.
Crunchy roasted chickpeas are the perfect crunchy/salty element to this salad, but you could also substitute with pine nuts, candied pecans, croutons, or anything else your heart desires.Print
You can customize this kale salad with just about any fall vegetables you have in your fridge!
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- 1 small acorn squash, cut in half, remove seeds and slice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch kale, chopped and massaged in 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice and a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 3/4 cup roasted chickpeas
- 3/4 cup sliced figs (optional)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prep brussels sprouts and squash, toss in olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, de-stem kale, chop finely and add to large bowl with olive oil, lemon juice and salt. Massage with clean hands for 3-4 minutes.
- To make tahini dressing, simply whisk all ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
- Toss all salad ingredients in dressing and enjoy!
We note to “massage” the kale, which literally means to massage it with your hands. This helps break down the kale a bit, which makes it much easier to eat. If you don’t mind raw kale, you can skip this step.