I think we can all agree that potatoes are one of the most delicious and versatile foods out there. Roasted, mashed, fried, even boiled - I'll take them any way - but these crispy smashed potatoes have a special place in my heart!
The method is quite simple. First, you simply boil whole baby potatoes until tender, then transfer them to a sheet pan. Then comes the fun. On the sheet pan, you get to smash each potato using either a fork or the bottom of a cup.
Finally, brush each smashed potato generously with olive oil and finish with salt, pepper, any kind of herb you like (we're partial to parsley or rosemary and thyme), and maybe even a bit of parmesan (we used our favorite vegan parmesan!).
Then pop them in the oven and within half an hour, you have a savory and satisfying side dish for everyone at your table to enjoy.
You can serve these with any dipping sauce of your choice. Pesto is a particularly great choice if you want to keep things simple.
We also often eat these potato bites with vegan aioli, homemade guacamole, and/or this amazing vegan queso dip! They're honestly so good that you'll probably just end up eating them straight off the pan. (Is that just us?)
These would make a stunning addition to your holiday table (or any dinner party, really), but we definitely suggest making plenty to go around!
Plus, if you can't wait for dinner, these crispy smashed potatoes make a fun and unexpected appetizer. Transfer them from their hot baking dish fresh from the oven to a serving platter, add dip of your choice, and pass them around!Print
Crispy on the exterior, fluffy and delicious on the interior - this is the ultimate potato side dish! Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- 1 ½ lbs. baby potatoes (of any variety)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tbsp fresh chopped herbs (rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, etc) and grated parmesan (vegan or regular)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bring water and a large ad salt to a boil in a large pot. We usually add 1 tsp of water for every 4 cups of water. Add washed potatoes and boil until fork tender - about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet. You can use a fork or the bottom of a clean cup to gently smash each potato. Another way that works well is to place another baking sheet on top and press down gently. This way the potatoes are all the same thickness, and they will bake more evenly.
- Brush each potato liberally with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, add herbs and cheese (if adding) and return to oven for additional 7-10 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and crispy.
To smash the boiled potatoes, we suggest using the bottom of a clean cup. It smashes more evenly than using a fork, and it's easier to apply pressure!
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American