To test out our new pressure cooker, we were planning on using this Squash soup recipe we posted a few weeks ago, but as we were cooking, we ended up changing so many things that we’re just writing down a brand new recipe! This version has a bit more spice & flavor, thanks to a touch of Sriracha and a spoonful (or two) of peanut butter (yes, peanut butter!). This recipe also substitutes about half of the liquid for full fat coconut milk, making it a more filling and comforting winter soup.Print
We’ve included instructions for both a stovetop and pressure cooker version of this flavorful squash soup.
- 2 tbsp sesame or olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 6–8 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 2 1/4 cups veggie broth
- 1 cups full fat coconut milk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp 5 Spice powder (optional)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1–2 tsp sriracha
- For garnish: Coconut milk, green onion, cilantro, peanuts and gomasio
- In a large pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until translucent & softened.
- Add in rest of ingredients (except peanut butter, lime juice & sriracha). Bring to boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer until veggies are softened (approx 45 minutes). At this point, add peanut butter, sriracha and lime juice.
- Use either an immersion blender or regular blender to puree soup until smooth. (If using a blender, be careful when transferring soup to blender and vice versa! You may have to do this in two batches.)
- Taste and adjust spices as desired. Garnish with coconut milk, green onion, cilantro, gomasio and chopped peanuts.
- In pressure cooker base over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic until slightly softened.
- Add in rest of ingredients (except peanut butter, lime juice & sriracha) and stir to incorporate. Close the pressure cooker lid and cook on high for 10 minutes. Release the pressure and open the cooker.
- Add peanut butter, sriracha and lime juice, and blend using high speed blender or immersion blender. Taste and adjust spices as desired. Garnish with coconut milk, green onion, cilantro, gomasio and chopped peanuts.