I absolutely love crushed lentil soup. It’s so comforting and filling, making it the perfect fall/winter dinner (although it’s certainly suitable for any time of year!). This keeps well in the fridge, so it’s also a great option for lunch meal prep.
We always use red lentils for puréed vegan lentil soup as they get very soft when cooked. Green or brown lentils hold their shape when cooked. We like them better for a whole lentil soup, like this Vegetable Lentil Soup.
We use harissa to add a bit of spice and red pepper for some sweetness. I love to garnish my lentil soup with plain vegan yogurt, cilantro and crispy roasted lentils!
The whole family can definitely agree on this vegan lentil soup. The best part is that you can throw it together in less than an hour with minimal prep time. Looking for more ways to cook with lentils? Try these Lentil Stuffed Eggplant Boats with Tahini or this Lentil Veggie Chili.Print
Our go-to winter soup!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils, rinse and sort before using
- 2 15. oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp harissa spice blend
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- For garnish: plain vegan yogurt, cilantro, crispy lentils
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil to medium.
- Add carrot, onion, celery and shallots. Sauté 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté until tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients except lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 35-40 minutes, until lentils are completely tender.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree (you can also use a regular high speed blender – just be careful!).
- Stir in lemon juice and adjust as desired.
- Serve with vegan yogurt, fresh cilantro and roasted lentils.