Kicking off soup season (yay!) with this super flavorful, comforting vegan coconut curry squash soup. It's creamy, luscious, warming and easy to make - perfect for a weeknight fall/winter dinner!
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups diced carrots
- 2 1/4- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 13.5 oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- For garnish: extra coconut milk, chopped peanuts, cilantro, sesame seeds
- In a large dutch oven, heat sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add garlic and continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in squash, carrots, and spices and stir well to coat. Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring a few times. Add broth and coconut milk and bring to boil. Then, reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer until squash is fork-tender (about 40 minutes).
- After veggies have softened, add peanut butter, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, and coconut sugar and stir well.
- Use either an immersion blender or regular blender to purée soup until smooth. If using a blender, make sure it's heat-safe.
- Taste and adjust spices as desired.
- Garnish with extra coconut milk, cilantro, sesame seeds and/or chopped peanuts.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: coconut curry squash soup