This crushed lentil soup is so comforting and filling that it’s the perfect fall or winter dinner. It’s packed with Middle Eastern flavors and plenty of vegetables.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups red lentils, rinse and sort before using
- 2 15. oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp harissa spice blend
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp coriander
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- For garnish: plain vegan yogurt, cilantro, crispy lentils
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil to medium.
- Add carrot, onion, celery and shallots. Sauté 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt, garlic and bell pepper and continue to sauté until tender.
- Add all remaining ingredients except lemon juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer 35-40 minutes, until lentils are completely tender.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to puree (you can also use a regular high speed blender – just be careful!).
- Stir in lemon juice and adjust as desired.
- Serve with vegan yogurt, fresh cilantro and roasted lentils.