These Double Chocolate Peppermint Shortbread Cookies are both vegan and gluten free and the perfect treat for any holiday occasion!
We partnered with Melt Organic to use their vegan buttery sticks for these shortbread-style cookies. We absolutely love Melt Organic products. They’re truly a one-to-one replacement for regular butter. They also add the delicious buttery taste to baked goods and regular cooking. One of my favorite ways to use their buttery spread is simply on some toast with a bit of raspberry jam…yum!
It’s important for the butter to come to room temperature before adding it to the vegan cookie dough. Otherwise, the dough will be difficult to work with. Similar to regular shortbread, these chocolate peppermint shortbread cookies only contains a few simple ingredients that you likely have in your pantry.
The chocolate shortbread cookies are delicious on their own (my husband ate at least 10 one night…no kidding), but we also like to add a bit of festive flair. We drizzled . and dipped the cookies in dark chocolate and sprinkled them with crushed candy canes. Plus, double chocolate is never a bad idea!
Craving more vegan holiday cookies? Make these Chocolate Caramel Pecan Shortbread Bars – you can substitute the coconut oil for vegan butter if you’d prefer! Another favorite: Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with a Hot Cocoa Cashew Cream Filling! We love this time of year because there are ample excuses to pile our table high with delicious treats. Let us know what kinds of cookies or other desserts you and your family love sharing around the holidays!Print
A dark chocolate drizzle + crushed candy canes brings these buttery (vegan) shortbread cookies to the next level!
- 1 cup Melt Organic vegan buttery sticks, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free all purpose flour
- 16 oz melted dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Soften vegan butter at room temperature.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until well incorporated and creamy.
- Add vanilla, salt and cocoa powder and continue beating until incorporated.
- Add gluten free flour and beat just until mixture starts to come together.
- Transfer to a non-stick surface and sprinkle with some flour. Knead the dough into a ball and roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thickness, then cut into desired shapes and repeat until all dough has been used.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 14-16 minutes. Let cool completely before decorating.
- Melt dark chocolate in 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring between each interval. Dip/drizzle cookies in chocolate and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Let harden before eating. Enjoy!
The butter must be completely softened before using – if you forget to leave it out at room temp for a few hours, slice each stick into a few pieces, place on a microwave safe plate and microwave in 7 second intervals until soft but not melted.
Keywords: christmas cookies