It only takes a few minutes to blend up this creamy vegan roasted red pepper sauce – you can even make it ahead of time for a super quick weeknight dinner!
- 12 oz cooked pasta of choice, reserve 1 cup pasta water
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours in warm water
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and roasted
- 3/4 cup diced carrots, roasted
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water (alternatively, room temp or warm water works fine)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts – toast in a small pan over medium heat for 7-10 minutes, stirring very frequently (they burn very easily, so keep a close eye on them!)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to package directions. Reserve water – we’ll be using a bit in the sauce!
- De-seed peppers, quarter and place on sheet pan with a bit of olive oil with diced carrots. Roast 15-20 minutes, then remove from oven and place in bowl covered with aluminum foil. After about 10 minutes, remove skins from pepper (they should come off pretty easily) and discard skin.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan over medium-low add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil, shallots and 1/2 tsp salt. Sauté 3-5 minutes, until slightly softened. Add garlic and continue to cook 3-5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add cooked shallot/garlic mixture, roasted peppers + carrots, cashews, remaining salt, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, pasta water, turmeric, paprika and pepper to a high speed blender and blend until it forms a paste. Add olive oil and continue blending until smooth and creamy.
- Pour over cooked pasta and toss well to coat. Add more reserved pasta water if needed to thin out.
- Top with toasted pine nuts, fresh parsley and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!
To make this a bit quicker, sub homemade roasted red peppers with a store-bought version.