Everything about this gazpacho is peak summer; fresh, juicy strawberries and watermelon, cooling cucumber, ripe tomatoes, fiery jalapeño & aromatic basil. We used fresh herbs and greens straight from our garden, including the gorgeous nasturtium we used as a garnish! The leaves have a pungent, peppery flavor that similar to, and sometimes stronger than, fresh arugula. So you probably wouldn’t want to make a salad out them, but they’re an excellent addition and grow very quickly!
The gazpacho itself is extremely easy to prepare. Simply wash & roughly chop everything, throw in a blender, and let it whirl for about 2-3 minutes. The most difficult step is letting it cool (we can be a bit impatient!). You can serve it in shooters for an easy, crowd-pleasing appetizer, or enjoy a full bowl garnished with full-fat coconut milk and herbs for lunch or dinner.
As with most recipes, you’ll find this gazpacho is best when made with as-fresh-as-possible ingredients. We can’t wait to find locally grown strawberries and make this again!
If you’re not partial to spicy food, reduce the amount of jalapeño. We ended up adding the seeds and pith, which we had initially removed, and it was most definitely on the spicy side, but not so much that it overpowered the other ingredients. You can always add more, so start small and give it a taste before you decide!Print
Everything about this gazpacho is peak summer; fresh, juicy strawberries and watermelon, cooling cucumber, ripe tomatoes, fiery jalapeño & aromatic basil.
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 1 small roasted red beet
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato
- 1 jalapeño (if you’d prefer spicier, add seeds and pith. If not, remove them before adding)
- Juice from 1/2 of a freshly squeezed lime
- 1 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup diced purple onion (rinsed in boiling water for 10 seconds)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- For garnish: coconut milk, fresh herbs
- Wash and prep all ingredients.
- Add everything except olive oil to blender. Start blending, and slowly stream in olive oil while blending. Blend for approximately 2-3 minutes, or until completely smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Cover and chill for 2 hours. Serve with a garnish of coconut milk and fresh herbs.