Who says oatmeal has to be sweet? This savory version with sautéed mushrooms, kale and avocado is equally delicious and makes for a delicious, hearty breakfast!
- 1 1/3 cups Flahavan's Steel Cut Quick to Cook Oats (cook according to package directions)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1/4 cup shallots, minced
- 1 tbsp tamari (or regular soy sauce)
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups lacinato kale
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Pickled Onion
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Cook oats according to package direction. Add salt to cooking water.
- When oats are finished cooking, stir in hemp seeds and nutritional yeast, taste and adjust salt as needed.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and shallots and sauté 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add tamari, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Cook until mushrooms are softened.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add, kale, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Sauté until kale is wilted.
- Spoon oatmeal into bowl and top as desired. Enjoy!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: savory oatmeal