This post is sponsored by Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions are our own.
Since going gluten and dairy free (for medical reasons) about 7 years ago, we haven't often enjoyed a really good sandwich. For a while, we simply avoided bread as a whole due to a lack of high-quality brands at our local store. When we discovered Canyon Bakehouse a few years back, it was a godsend; gluten free bread that actually tastes good? A miracle!
Even better, they've continued to improve their products over the years. They now offer some fantastic gluten free products, including English muffins, focaccia, bagels, buns & more. Nowadays, we make sandwiches all the time. Paninis like these fajita flavored ones make for an easy, no-fuss lunch. Canyon Bakehouse has come out with a few flavors of Heritage Style wide loaves, which are perfect for huge, messy sandwiches (like this one!).
We've had the recipe for this fajita panini in mind for a quite a while; it's such a comforting mixture, yet surprisingly healthy. We sautéed a mixture of garlic, jalapeño, red onion, bell peppers, mushrooms & some spices.
We then used vegan cheese slices and avocado to hold everything together in the sandwich. Speaking of vegan cheese, we absolutely love these slices. They actually melt (if you've tried vegan cheese, you know what we mean). And the taste truly resembles their cow's milk counterpart.
If you, too, happen to be gluten free yet love sandwiches, check out this Canyon Bakehouse recipe e-book; so many great recipes (including one of ours ;))!Print
Sautéed fajita veggies + vegan cheese + gluten free bread = my idea of the perfect lunch!
- 4 slices Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free Heritage Style Whole Grain Bread
- 4 slices vegan cheese (we use this brand)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
- 1/2 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large yellow pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 portobello mushroom caps, sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 large zucchini diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp mesquite powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Sauté garlic, jalapeño and onion in olive oil over medium until softened and fragrant (stirring frequently to prevent burning) .
- Add chili powder, mesquite, cumin and salt, stir to coat. Add the peppers, mushrooms, and zucchini and sauté until all vegetables are softened.
- Brush oil on both sides of each slice of bread. Start with a layer of vegan cheese, then sliced avocado, and then a layer of fajita veggie mix to sandwich and press in panini press until cheese is melted. If you don't have panini press, cook in a regular fry pan, placing a lid on top of the sandwich to lightly press down. Flip sandwich halfway through cook time to prevent burning.
- Category: Lunch