This Super Green Vegetable Soup is packed with nutritious vegetables like leeks, zucchini, green beans, herbs and leafy greens! The perfect healthy weeknight dinner and one of our favorite ways to get a few extra servings of greens.
This soup has become on of our absolute favorites for a few reasons:
- True to its name, it's super green. Said green ingredients include leeks, peas, zucchini, celery, green beans, cilantro, parsley, kale and spinach. Oh, plus there's a delicious herbed oil on top made with extra green herbs. Basically a week's worth of greens in one recipe!
- Despite its green-ness, it actually tastes good. No, seriously! I'd rather eat this over sautéed kale any day of the week. It's especially delicious topped with some vegan (or regular) parmesan-style cheese and black pepper. Even the boys (ok, men) in our family loved it, and they're extra picky!
- It's a great way to use up produce odds and ends. You can use whichever green veggies (or non-green veggies) you have on hand!
- This soup is light enough to eat on a warm spring or summer evening - who says soup is just for winter?
Side note, but still related: every Thursday, my mom teaches a healthy cooking class at our local Gilda's Club. Gilda's Club is a cancer support organization that provides counseling, support, activities and special programs for cancer patients and their families.
It's a fantastic, supportive community and my mom has had the opportunity to share her knowledge with many people that truly want to improve their diets.
Every week, she chooses a different subject/food group to focus on. Two weeks ago, she chose healthy green soups, which is how she came up with this recipe idea! Everyone in the class loved the recipe so much that we decided to publish it for you guys, too.
Another bonus: this super green vegetable soup can be ready in just under 30 minutes, including prep time! It also makes great leftovers for the next day's lunch. I added in some spicy chicken sausage for my husband and he loved it - feel free to add some if you're not vegan/vegetarian. We love recipes that we can easily adapt for the entire family!
I'm not sure about you guys, but we make soup all the time! It's just so easy to throw together and it's a great way to get lots of veggies. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Asparagus and Spring Pea Soup - perfect for April and May!
- Roasted Yellow Tomato and Bell Pepper Soup. It's not quite time for summer produce, but this is great in June & July!
- Cheesy Broccoli Soup (Vegan). Perfect for any time of the year, especially for those with picky kids.
- White Bean Kale Soup - easy, filling, a little spicy, and always delicious!
This Super Green Vegetable Soup is packed with nutritious vegetables like leeks, zucchini, green beans, herbs and leafy greens! We've also added in chickpeas for extra plant-protein and a herbed oil drizzle to top it off.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup leeks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- ¾ cup green beans, trimmed and cut in thirds
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen peas
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 ¾ - 2 tsp fine kosher salt (taste as you go)
- ¾ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 cups leafy greens of choice (we used half kale, half spinach)
- 2 15. oz cans garbanzo beans
- ⅓ cup vegan parmesan-style cheese, grated (can sub with 2 tbsp nutritional yeast)
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1-1 ½ tbsp fresh basil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp agave syrup
- ¼ tsp fine kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium and add oil.
- Add leeks and garlic and sauté about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add celery, zucchini, green beans and peas and stir. After a minute or two, add in cilantro, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, add in lemon juice, leafy greens and garbanzo beans and cook a few more minutes, until greens are wilted.
- Meanwhile, add all herbed oil ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth and well incorporated.
- Serve soup with a drizzle of oil over top and enjoy!
You can use any green vegetables you have on hand. We used about 4 cups total (celery, zucchini, green beans and peas).
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: super green vegetable soup