This cheesy vegan broccoli soup packs flavor and nutritious ingredients. It tastes indulgent, but it actually has a healthy base of puréed vegetables (including aromatics, potatoes, and cauliflower). Nutritional yeast provides the soup’s cheesiness, which adds B vitamins (important if you’re vegan/vegetarian). Your kids will never know they’re eating multiple servings of veggies!
We add whole cooked broccoli for a bit of texture rather than puréeing it with the rest of the ingredients. Of course, if you prefer a smoother consistency, go ahead and blend it up.
Let’s talk toppings. Extra broccoli and vegan cheese (this is the brand we used) are delicious on this vegan soup. We think homemade croutons or a side of your favorite oven-toasted bread for dipping would be even better. So comforting!
See our recipe for Peach Blueberry Panzanella Salad (I know, definitely from another season), for directions for homemade croutons using our favorite gluten-free bread. Just remember to preheat the oven before you start the broccoli soup!Print
All of the comfort, none of the dairy! This delicious soup is perfectly creamy, cheesy and packed with healthy ingredients.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups diced and peeled yellow potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, turmeric and lemon juice. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes until all of the veggies are fork tender.
- Add in nutritional yeast , 2 tbsp of butter, and puree in heat-safe high speed blender or use an immersion blender. Return to pot and stir in chives, parsley, and chopped broccoli.
- Garnish with more chopped herbs and vegan cheese. Enjoy!
There are plenty of delicious vegan cheese brands out there – this is the one we used for a topping!