This cheesy vegan broccoli soup is packed with flavor and nutritious ingredients. It tastes indulgent, but it’s made with a base of puréed vegetables (including aromatics, potatoes, and cauliflower) and the cheesiness comes from nutritional yeast, which is packed with B vitamins (important if you’re vegan/vegetarian!). Your kids will never know they’re eating multiple servings of veggies!
We stir in cooked broccoli for a bit of texture rather than puréeing it with the rest of the ingredients, but if you’d prefer a smoother consistency, go ahead and blend it up.
Let’s talk toppings: extra broccoli and vegan cheese (this is the brand we used) are great, but it’s even better with some homemade croutons or a side of your favorite oven-toasted bread for dipping. So comforting!Print
All of the comfort, none of the dairy! This delicious soup is perfectly creamy, cheesy and packed with healthy ingredients.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup diced shallot
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 4 cups diced and peeled yellow potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli
- Heat oil and butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, turmeric and lemon juice. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes until all of the veggies are fork tender.
- Add in nutritional yeast and puree in heat-safe high speed blender or use an immersion blender. Return to pot and stir in chives, parsley, and chopped broccoli.
- Garnish with more chopped herbs, broccoli and vegan cheese. Enjoy!
There are plenty of delicious vegan cheese brands out there – this is the one we used for a topping!