Our cheesy vegan broccoli soup packs both flavor and nutrition. It's creamy and filling, but it actually has a healthy base of puréed vegetables, making it lighter than other broccoli and cheese soups. It's kid-friendly and perfect for a weeknight dinner!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Nutritious: Our broccoli soup is packed with veggies, including cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and celery. Nutritional yeast adds a blast of B vitamins, which are crucial for a vegan or vegetarian diet.
- Kid-friendly: It tastes cheesy and looks like the real deal, so your kids should be on board with this recipe.
- Filling, but still light: Since this recipe is dairy free, it ends up being a lot lighter than other broccoli soups. However, every spoonful is full of veggies, making it filling and satisfying.
Here's what you'll need to make this recipe:
- Broccoli: We add it in at the end without cooking it, so it's crucial to chop it finely so that there are no big, touch chunks in the soup.
- Nutritional yeast: helps to give the soup a cheesy flavor.
- Turmeric powder: adds a rich yellow color to the soup, but doesn't impart too much flavor. It's OK to leave it out if you don't have any, but the color of your soup won't be a rich yellow without it.
(1) Heat ¼ cup of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
(2) Add 1 ½ cups diced yellow onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add 1 tbsp minced garlic and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
(3) Add 1 ½ cups diced carrots, 1 cup diced celery, 4 cups diced and peeled yellow potatoes, 3 cups chopped cauliflower, 4 cups vegetable broth, 2 ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, ½ tsp turmeric (provides a great cheesy color), and 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until all of the veggies are fork tender.
(4) Add in 4 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp of vegan butter, and purée in heat-safe high speed blender or use an immersion blender. Return to pot and stir in 2 tbsp chopped chives, ½ cup chopped parsley, and 4 cups chopped broccoli.
Garnish with more chopped herbs and vegan cheese. Enjoy!
Expert Tips and FAQs
- Topping ideas: Croutons or toasted bread will add a ton of texture, while some extra cheese on top will add flavor and richness. We like SO Delicious and Follow Your Heart brands for topping.
- Chop the broccoli finely: We don't cook the broccoli before adding it to the soup. This preserves the flavor of the broccoli, but if it's not chopped finely enough, it can be tough and hurt the overall texture of the soup, so make sure to chop up your broccoli as finely as possible.
Yes! Complete steps 1-3 and stop halfway through step 4 once you've blended the soup. Store in an airtight container. When ready to serve, heat up the soup on the stove and add in fresh herbs and broccoli.
Yes, you can freeze this broccoli soup recipe. If you've already added the herbs and broccoli, store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight then heat up the soup on the stove. You may lose the taste of the fresh herbs after they've been frozen, so we'd recommend topping with some additional chives and parsley.
Tried this recipe? Please leave a star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page. You can also stay in touch with us through social media by following us on Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook!Print
All of the comfort, none of the dairy! This delicious soup is perfectly creamy, cheesy and packed with healthy ingredients.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 ½ cups diced yellow onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 4 cups diced and peeled yellow potatoes
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until softened. Add minced garlic and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add carrots, celery, potatoes, cauliflower, vegetable broth, salt, pepper, turmeric and lemon juice. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes until all of the veggies are fork tender.
- Add in nutritional yeast , 2 tbsp of butter, and puree in heat-safe high speed blender or use an immersion blender. Return to pot and stir in chives, parsley, and chopped broccoli.
- Garnish with more chopped herbs and vegan cheese. Enjoy!
There are plenty of delicious vegan cheese brands out there - SO Delicious and Follow Your Heart are great brands that will work well as a topping.
Chop the broccoli as finely as possible to ensure your soup has the right texture.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan cheesy broccoli soup