How is it already the end of July?! This summer (like every other summer, of course) has flown by. It's hard to believe parents are already preparing for back-to-school season. This rainbow veggie sandwich with beet harissa hummus is a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies!
This post is sponsored by Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions are our own.
Back when my siblings and I were in school, sandwiches were always a staple. In high school, I typically packed my own lunches, but I tended to be both lazy and a creature of habit. Therefore, nearly every lunch contained an almond butter + raspberry jam sandwich on multigrain bread. Not very exciting, and not a whole lot of nutrient diversity (although I did usually pack some sliced veggies on the side).
Had I been a bit more creative, it would have been quite easy to throw together a much tastier combo. I missed out on this super easy rainbow veggie + beet hummus bagel sandwich!
Bagels are an underrated sandwich option. I think they're much better at holding together raw ingredients, and they work well with this vegetable sandwich vis-a-vis filling to bread ratio.
We always use our favorite Canyon Gluten Free Bagels. We chose their Everything Bagel variety to add a bit more flavor to our beet harissa hummus. You can certainly substitute with their Plain flavor if you're in the mood for something simpler!
(Side note; I am obsessed with their Cinnamon Raisin bagel, especially toasted & spread with a bit of dairy free cream cheese!)
Homemade hummus is surprisingly simple to make. It's also great for meal prep. You can make a big batch at the beginning of the week to store in the fridge for easy access.
We like to add a bit of spice to our beet hummus with harissa, a spicy North African condiment. You should be able to easily find harissa paste at your local grocery store. You can also attempt a homemade version if you're up for the challenge!Print
Homemade beet harissa hummus brings this vegetable-centric bagel sandwich together.
- 1 Canyon Gluten Free Everything Bagel
- 4 tbsp beet harissa hummus (recipe below)
- Purple cabbage
- Heirloom Tomatoes
Beet Harissa Hummus:
- 1 15.5 oz can chickpeas (drain, reserve liquid)
- 3 small cooked beets
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tsp salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tbsp harissa paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1-3 tbsp reserved chickpea liquid (for consistency)
- Add chickpeas, beets and tahini to a food processor or blender and blend for about 10 seconds. Add lemon juice, salt, garlic and harissa and blend about 30 seconds. You may need to scrape down the sides of processor with a spatula.
- Slowly stream in olive oil, and finish with chickpea liquid until you reach desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Store in airtight container in fridge for a week.
- To assemble sandwich, spread each bagel half with hummus, and layer with sliced purple cabbage, sliced cucumber, spinach, tomatoes, etc. Enjoy!
After testing many batches of hummus, we've actually found that a blender usually makes much creamier hummus than a food processor.
- Category: Lunch
- Cuisine: American