All of the comfort, none of the dairy! This delicious vegan broccoli cheddar soup is perfectly creamy, cheesy and packed with healthy ingredients like potatoes and white beans.
- 5-6 tbsp vegan butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onion or shallot (~1 onion)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 cups peeled and diced yellow potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp fine kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 14.5oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 4 cups finely chopped broccoli (can include stems)
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese*
- Heat 3 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add garlic, potatoes, carrot, celery, salt and pepper and continue cooking for 5-7 minutes.
- Add in the vegetable broth, lemon juice, white beans and 1/4 cup of the fresh parsley. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet, heat 1 tbsp butter. Add in broccoli, season with a pinch of salt and pepper and sauté for 8-10 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
- Carefully transfer the soup to a heat-safe blender, add in cheese and blend until completely smooth. Add in the broccoli and blend for another 15-20 seconds, until mostly blended (it should still have some texture).
- Return the blended soup to the pot and stir in remaining 1/4 cup of parsley and remaining 1-2 tbsp butter (optional) for extra richness. Serve warm.
Buttery breadcrumb topping: heat 1 tbsp vegan butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 seasoned panko breadcrumbs and 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley. Stir well and toast until browned and crispy, about 6-8 minutes.
Don't over-blend the soup: if you blend the soup for too long, the potatoes will start to have a gummy, thick texture. Blend it just long enough for everything to be smooth.
Don't want to use vegan cheese? Sub with 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast, which has a cheesy, savory flavor. Add it in when you blend the soup.
Potatoes: yellow potatoes (like yukon golds) work best in this soup. They make for a creamy, rich soup without the grainy, waxy texture you can sometimes get from red potatoes.
White beans: we used cannellini beans, which are nice and soft and blend up perfectly in this soup. You can also use navy or Great Northern beans.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 331
- Sugar: 7.2 g
- Sodium: 956.6 mg
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 39.7 g
- Fiber: 9.8 g
- Protein: 14.9 g
Keywords: vegan broccoli cheddar soup