This vegan taco salad is loaded up with all the good stuff: spicy lentil walnut taco meat, tortilla strips, all sorts of veggies, pinto beans and avocado. Ready in less than 30 minutes, it's easy to customize and perfect for a nutritious, gluten free weeknight dinner!
Lentil Walnut Taco Meat:
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked according to package directions (about 1 cup cooked)
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 head of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 15 oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cooked corn (we used frozen)
- Tortilla strips*
- 1 medium avocado, diced
- Shredded vegan cheese
- Optional: cilantro and green onions
- 1/2 of a thinly sliced red onion (pickled or raw)
Lime Cumin Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup avocado (or olive) oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 1 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until softened (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add the cooked lentils, cilantro, lime juice, walnuts, salt, chili powder, and paprika. Stir to combine thoroughly. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring several times.
- Whisk together all ingredients for vinaigrette.
- Assemble salad with lettuce, vegan taco meat, pinto beans, tomatoes, avocado, corn, tortilla strips, vegan cheese and optional garnishes: pickled red onion, cilantro, green onion, jalapeño. Toss in dressing.
*You can also use tortilla chips and crush them up into smaller bits.
- Category: Salad
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mexican-American
Keywords: vegan taco salad