These vegan taco lettuce wraps are fresh and crunchy with a Mexican filling of mushrooms, lentils and walnuts. They make an easy and healthy weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 cup lentils, cooked according to package directions (about 1 cup cooked)
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 tbsp jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped small
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Cook lentils according to package directions in salted water with 1 tbsp olive oil. When finished cooking, set aside.
- Melt the butter in medium sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and jalapeño and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring a few times, until softened (about 5-8 minutes).
- Add the cooked lentils, cilantro, lime juice, walnuts, salt, chili powder, and paprika. Stir to combine thoroughly. Cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring several times.
- Pull the lettuce leaves from the head, wash and pat dry with a clean dish towel. Lay them flat on a work surface or plates.
- Fill each lettuce cup with lentil filling and top with tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and pickled onions or jalapeños, if using. Enjoy!
For your meat-loving family members, cook 1/2 – 3/4 lb. of ground turkey, chicken or pork and serve in lettuce wrap topped with mushroom and lentil mixture.
Keywords: vegan lettuce wraps