Vegan Split Pea Soup topped with crispy fried mushroom "bacon" is the comforting dinner you NEED in your life! It's hearty, packed with nutritious ingredients, and even kid-friendly.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic (2-3 large cloves)
- 1 ½ cups carrots, diced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup peeled yellow potatoes, diced into ½ inch cubes
- 2 cups dried split peas, rinsed and sorted
- 6-7 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 ½-2 tsp kosher salt
- ¾-1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped dill
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped oregano
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 medium lemon, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 ½ tsp agave syrup (optional)
Fried Mushroom Bacon:
- 1 ½ cup vegetable oil (or other high heat oil)
- 6-8 oz, shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- Salt, pepper, smoked paprika
- Heat a large soup pot to medium and add oil. Add onions and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add garlic and continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add celery, carrots, potatoes, salt, and pepper, stir and cook for a few minutes.
- Add split peas and broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, add 1 ½ cups of vegetable oil to a deep dutch oven or similar pot. Heat over medium to medium high heat. Line a sheet pan with paper towel and set on the counter next to pot. In a small bowl, mix together about 1 tbsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and 1 tsp smoked paprika. Set next to sheet pan.
- Once oil is heated, add thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms in batches, making sure not to crowd the pan. Cook until the shiitakes are crispy - it should take about 5 minutes per batch.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to a cutting board lined with paper towels. Immediately sprinkle with the salt mixture. Repeat with all mushrooms.
- Add parsley, dill, and oregano to the soup and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- Puree 4 cups of soup in a heat resistant blender with 1 cup of baby spinach leaves, lemon juice, and agave. Pour back in the soup pot and stir well. Alternatively, you can blend the entire soup, or leave it unblended.
- Top with shiitake bacon and vegan sour cream.
When reheating leftovers, you may need to add more vegetable broth to loosen it up. The soup tends to thicken when refrigerated.
Keywords: vegan split pea soup