Taco Tuesday plans: Vegan Mushroom Shawarma Tacos with a creamy cilantro tahini sauce! The mushrooms are packed with flavor from a homemade shawarma spice blend and have the perfect meaty texture. Simple, delicious and easy to make in about 30 minutes!
- 6 oz portobello mushrooms, stems removed and shredded with two forks
- 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tsp agave or date syrup
- 1 tbsp shawarma spice blend (recipe below)
- Corn tortillas
- For serving: romaine lettuce, cilantro tahini sauce (recipe below), vegan (or regular) feta cheese
Homemade Shawarma Spice Blend:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine grain kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
Cilantro Tahini Sauce:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Stir (or whisk) together all spices for shawarma spice blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, tamari, date syrup, and the shawarma spice blend.
- To prep the mushrooms: remove the stems from the portobellos, then use two forks to "shred" the mushrooms into bite-sized pieces. The idea is to have different sizes and textures to mimic shredded meat. To prep the shiitake, simply remove the stems and slice into thin strips.
- Add mushrooms to a large mixing bowl. Pour spice/oil blend over mushrooms and toss well to coat (it's easiest to use your hands to make sure the spices evenly coat the mushrooms). Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil. Once heated, add the mushrooms and cook, stirring often, for about 8-10 minutes, until softened and slightly crispy.
- Meanwhile, add all ingredients for cilantro tahini sauce to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Assemble the tacos with warmed corn tortillas, chopped lettuce, mushrooms, cilantro tahini sauce and (optional) vegan feta.
Mushrooms: we chose these two varieties for their meaty texture and earthy flavor, which better mimics meat. If you can't find any, you can sub with another variety (like cremini), but the texture may be a bit different.
Tahini: make it from scratch with this recipe.
Date syrup: a touch of sweetness perfectly balances the spices. We love this date syrup, but if you can't find any, agave is a great sub.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 350
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 436.2 mg
- Fat: 23.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.8 g
- Fiber: 5.6 g
- Protein: 7.5 g
Keywords: vegan shawarma tacos