Vegan shakshuka made with tofu, dairy-free feta, plenty of veggies and spices is the easy & delicious plant based dinner you've been missing.
- 1 14-oz container extra firm tofu, cut in half lengthwise then cut into 8 triangles
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 28 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes
- ⅓ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ⅓ cup curly parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 oz dairy free feta, divided
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced, for garnish (optional)
- 4 slices of thick bread or baguette, toasted
- Line a plate with several layers of paper towels. Drain and place tofu on top, cover with more paper towels, then with a second plate, and something heavy, like a pot, on top. Press the tofu like this for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat with the olive oil. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, coriander and salt and stir well to coat the vegetables. Add the fire roasted tomatoes, cilantro, and parsley, reserving 2 tbsp of parsley for garnish. Stir well and simmer for 10 more minutes.
- If you like a less chunky sauce, use an immersion blender to purée the tomato sauce a bit, keeping a few chunks.
- Add the pressed tofu and sprinkle with half of the vegan feta. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and top with the remaining feta, chopped parsley, red pepper flakes and avocado. Serve with toasted bread on the side.
Keywords: vegan shakshuka, egg-free shakshuka, shakshuka