Rich, creamy, and comforting, this vegan potato leek soup is perfect for a chilly day in the fall or winter. We cook leeks, potatoes, and beans until soft and blend everything together until smooth to create a perfect silky texture without using any milk or cream.
- 6 tablespoons nondairy butter, divided
- 4 cups roughly chopped leeks, washed thoroughly
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and roughly diced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoon fine grain kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Once melted, add leeks and minced garlic and stir well to coat. Sauté for 6-7 minutes, until leeks start to soften.
- Add celery, potatoes, 1 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to the pot. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add vegetable broth, cannellini beans, and white wine vinegar. Stir well and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup to a heat safe blender. Add dijon and blend until smooth and creamy. Return soup to pot. Taste and add additional 1/2 tsp of salt if desired. Stir in remaining 2 tbsp butter and chopped chives and serve.
Wash the leeks thoroughly: Leeks grow in layers and thrive in sandy soil, so there is often sand/dirt trapped between a leek's layers.
Be careful blending: If your blender isn't heat safe, the hot soup could potentially crack your blender. Also, hot soup releases steam, and in combination with an airtight blender lid, you run the risk of the lid blowing off. This is why we recommend blending in small batches to minimize this risk. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender if you have one.
Storage: let soup cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 5 days. You can also freeze for up to 6 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight, then heat gently on the stovetop until warm.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 Bowl
- Calories: 283
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 1469.7 mg
- Fat: 6.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.3 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 7.4 g
Keywords: vegan potato leek soup