These cute chocolate-covered vegan peppermint patties are a healthier, homemade version of classic York candies.
- In a food processor, pulse the cashews or almonds until they are finely ground. Add the coconut flakes and pulse several times until the cashews and coconut are blended together well.
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave and add it to the food processor with the agave, mint extract, and salt. Pulse to combine thoroughly. You will need to stop a few times to use a spatula to scrape the mixture off of sides and back into the middle. Blend it until a soft dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a piece of parchment paper and press into a flat piece with your hands. Then using a rolling pin, flatten it until the dough is about ¼ inch thick. Freeze for 15 minutes, until firm.
- Remove the dough from the freezer and use a circular cookie cutter to cut round patties Roll out the leftover dough and continue to cut into circular shapes until you have used almost all of the dough. Spread the patties out on a baking sheet and return to the freezer for 20-30 minutes. If you don’t have the right sized cookie cutter, you can also just slice the dough into squares.
- Just before you remove the patties from the freezer, add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until melted, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove the patties from the freezer. Dip each patty into the melted chocolate and return the patties to the freezer to harden for 15 minutes. After the chocolate has hardened, remove from freezer and drizzle more chocolate on top. Immediately top each patty with a generous sprinkling of crushed candy canes. The chocolate hardens quickly, so you need to sprinkle the crushed peppermint right after drizzling each chocolate patty or find someone to help you with this part of the process. This will get messy, but it’s worth it!
- Return the chocolate-covered bars to the freezer and freeze until fully set, another 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer for up to 2 weeks.
*Use whatever flavor of chocolate you like! We love dark, but bittersweet would also work. Milk and white chocolate don’t melt as well in the microwave, though.
Keywords: vegan peppermint patties