These Vegan Dan Dan Noodles with a crispy, caramelized tofu-mushroom-walnut "meat" are heavenly. Served in a spicy, broth-y sauce over rice noodles with boy choy and green onion, I can't imagine a better weeknight dinner!
- 3 tbsp toasted (or regular) sesame oil
- 1 tbsp finely minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely minced or grated ginger
- 14 oz. extra firm tofu
- 1 1/2 cups shiitake or button mushrooms, finely minced
- 1/2 cup scallions, minced + more for garnish
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups baby bok choy, sliced thinly
- 10 oz white rice noodles (wide)
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/3 cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tbsp creamy, unsalted peanut butter
- 2 tbsp chili oil
- Whisk together peanut butter and chili oil until well combined. Add in remaining sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Remove tofu from packaging, drain well, and pat dry. Wrap in a few pieces of paper towel (or a clean dish towel) and lay something heavy on top, like a few cookbooks. Let sit for 30-45 minutes to press out as much moisture as possible.
- Using your hands, crumble tofu into small pieces into a mixing bowl so it resembles ground meat. Add in minced mushrooms, walnuts, scallions and 1/4 cup of the sauce. Stir well.
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring frequently to prevent burning, for 2-3 minutes. Add tofu mixture to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let the mixture get crispy – you may have to crank up the heat a bit to achieve this. Just watch it carefully so it does not burn.
- Meanwhile, start cooking the noodles according to package directions.
- When tofu mixture is done, add in bok choy and cook for a few more minutes until wilted.
- When noodles are finished cooking, drain and then toss in remaining sauce, letting it cook for a minute or two.
- Serve noodles in bowls, top with vegan meat mixture, more sauce and thinly sliced scallions. Enjoy hot.
Ingredient substitutions in blog post.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: vegan dan dan noodles